Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

deciding which Spector to buy... please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Hi TBers,
    At present i have a Spector Legend 5 which i like the tone of but am dissapointed with the build quality of.
    i am going to sell it on ebay and wil get between AU$1200-$1400 (US$900-$1050). for the Americans reading this please dont be too shocked - the bass retails for AU$2000 (US$1500) in Australia.
    anyway to get to the point i am looking to import a new Spector from the US but need advice as to which one will suit my needs considering i like the tone i have from my legend.
    with the money i will get from the sale of the legend plus a bit extra i can get a much better bass from the US, i have narrowed the choice down to three models:
    1. NS-JH5 - USA Bolt-On
    2. NS5 CRFM - Euro Neck-Thru
    3. Euro LX5.

Any advice you can give me on these particular models or similar models within my price range (US$1400-$1600) would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance

2. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    The NS JH5 is a great bass if you like bolt-on Spectors.
    The NS5 crfm / Euro 5 is a very good neck-through. The NT Spectors sound way better than the bolted ones, if you ask me!
    And NO, you won´t get poorer quality if you get a European one, the guys at Bohemian Electric are great builders!

I´d consider those two. -And if I had to I´d take the Euro 5 (with the TonePump preamp, they´re awesome).

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What about the build quality are you disappointed in? My 2 Pro series (Pro5 and Q5) are built really well IMHO.

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    You can't go wrong with any of those choices. However, you will not get the same tone as your Legend. All of those basses are WAY better than a legend and have seriously upgraded pickups and electronics not to mention hardware and body woods. I think the only person that I know of that has 1 of each of those basses is Firkinahsoul or 'Firk'. I have LX's and standard Euro's but no USA JH's. Firk has all of those so should be able to tell you the difference between them all.

5. Good point. The AMerican and Euro Spectors are all a step up. I had a USa bolt on 5 string made of solid flame maple. The bass definitely sounded liek a Spector. The only thing you might not like about it is that there is a single coil in the neck versus the typical dual humbuckere Spector configuration. I however dig the sound of single coils in the neck. I definitely feel that the NS JH5 is a super value and the neck sits so deep into the body that it isn't far from the tonality of a full neck thru.

The Euro 5 strings are also excellent. I'm talking about the Chezch built, crown inlay real EMG's. You get alot of bass for the money there and definitely get more bang for the buck than with the full bore Spector USA neck thru.

I am confused with the Rebop. I am not sure exactly where it is made or what its exact specs are. Never played one of those.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The rebop is a bolt-on. But it also doesnt have all of the upgrades that the Euro does. It's right in the middle of the Legends and the Euro's as far as quality goes.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    DING, I'm chimin' in.

1. NS-JH5 - USA Bolt-On
    My favorite out of the options because of the neck. It is a cross between the older Ibanez(thin and fast) and the Euro spectors(Fat and fast). The pickup configuration lends to a lot of styles(J/HB). I do a lot of studio work(ALL genres) and that is the bass I take with me to just about everyone. The HB pickup is a dual J housed in a 40 case. The volume knob is a push/pull so the pickup can go to a humbucker for fatter tone. I usually use the HB in single coil then fire it into HB mode for solos.

2. NS5 CRFM - Euro Neck-Thru
    Third on my list only for the weight of it. It has solid maple wings instead of Alder/Walnut/Maple(or Exotic now is an option). Which makes it a little heavier than the NEW LX models. It is also a little brighter than the LX from all that maple.

3. Euro LX5.
    Second on my list though not by much. I love the Alder/Walnut/Maple(or Exotic now is an option) look and sound. The sliver of walnut ads a little midrange to the Tone Pump(which is nice). The 5 string I just got has a lot of extra Mid due to the extra Walnut that was shoved in there.

Ask me anything and I am sure I can help you out. I may even be able to hunt down recordings of each for comparison. :hyper:

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I knew you would show up eventually Firk.

My vote is for the Euro-5 LX. But probably because I've never played a JH-5.

9. The Euro 5's kick butt.Great basses especially for the money.

And I forgot to mention that I really liked being able to split the bridge pup on my JH5.Spector did a good job designing that bass to be versatile. Oddly, you don't see those pups on any other Spector that I am aware of.

10. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    JOSH:
    You didn't play that Spalty JH like mine at NAMM?
    The only reason I would pick the JH is the PU Config. The neck is nicer but not that much. I hope they start making that matte poly finish an option, it is sick.

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    No, I only played that USA 5-string neck-through walnut burl monster. I'm trying to avoid the USA's if I can. They are SO much more money and I'm happy with my Euro's.

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I am hot rodding an older CRFM with 2 EMG TW's so I can have these options:
    J/J
    J/HB
    HB/J
    HB/HB

Once I am done I will post sound clips.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I was thinking about dropping a TW in the bridge position of my Euro-6 LX Fretless. I should be able to get some pretty sick jazz tone that way.

14. Thanks heaps guys for your very imformative responses. i can now make a much more informed decision - the USA bolt on if i can afford it, if not then the Euro LX5 sounds like a great second choice.

Revgroove - the build quality issues i have with the bass are sorta substantial and are resulting in me trying to make a warranty claim for defective workmanship at the moment.
    when i slide my fingers down the sides of the fretboard i can feel some of the frets sticking out and some gaps in the fretboard where the frets havent been sealed in properly.
    also the cpver for the control cavity on the back is a disaster!
    it looks like too much wood was routed out of the body and so the cover sits too high and too far away from the routing.
    check these pics below to see what i mean bout the cover:
    click on the images to enlarge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

by the way this is not meant as a flame on spector basses - i just think i got a dud one... PJ at spector has been very helpful with this matter so far...

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the USA bolt on out of those choices.

16. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go the Euro LX5. Spector are doing some hot exotic tops at the moment.

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Wow, that's too bad about your Legend 5. Mine is of excellent build quality. Your's must have been made on a Friday after lunch! :p

I have corresponded with PJ in the past and he is a breath of fresh air, an artist rep for a major manufacturer who replies to ALL the artists who play Spector basses.

Of your choices, I would go with the NS-JH5. This is the bass I would prefer myself, but budget factors had me settle on the Legend 5. I prefer the bridge position J over the EMG, which is why it won out over the ReBop for me.

I was kicking myself, because right after I bought my Legend, the much traveled NS-JH5 showed up for sale again on Talkbass for $1000. :rolleyes: That being said, the Legend suits my purposes as a workhorse stage bass.

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I thought the Legend 5 had an EMG 40JHZ and an EMG 40HZ?

I'm going EMG 40J/EMG 40TW in the Q5 I defretted, can't wait!

For some reason, it's difficult to get the TW in the Great White North...I ordered it back in February, and was told mid July...haven't heard anything yet...

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    EMG is moving facilities and it's back logging everything. I ordered some stuff in Feb. as well. But I have been assured stuff is coming.

20. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Be nice if someone had told me that!

Guess I'll put that mod on the back shelf and try some other stuff with the other two Spectors I have...