1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decient Combo's in the $500 range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rakie, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

So... I've got a Lakland 55-01, i use a Rogue 120BT (100w) Crap amp.. im really looking for something better here... Half the problem is I dont really know what im looking for, and if i go in a sam ash, they have only Harkte, and that im not looking for...

Played through an Ampeg 4x10 with a Mark King II head... sounded simply amazing. I do like the Ampeg sound, but the price is a bit much for me.

The sound I like is thick, yet clearly defined, and I got that tone out of my buddies Mark king / Ampeg setup. Sounded great and i could feel the bass when i played. I usually set up amps with the Low 8-8.5 Mid 7 high Mid 5.5-6.5 High 4.5-5

That usually gets the kinda thick sound im talking about depending on what im playing through...

But for around $500 (new) what could should I be looking at?

And, what about $500 (used) what should i be looking for?
    please specify used / new on what you post

I dont really know much about amps... i've had nice basses, but never put in the money for an amp.

Any ideas?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Right now MusiciansFriend.com has the Peavey BAM 2x10 Combo on clearance for $599. They are usually a LOT more money. Damn great combo!

3. Rakie

Another thing, i run a 1x15 right now and i know mine is really crummy but, its all boom with no articulation, im sure not all 115's are like that, but im sure there's more boom in a 15 then i need, which is why i was liking the 10's or 12's : )

But thanks for the idea's... Musicians friend has lots of new gear lately... Bene's ??? Zon ???? idk what happened over there, but i dont remember seeing those brands a few years ago there, hehe

I saw this Ashdown combo... I've heard ashdown sound clips and I like the sound, the thing I like about this combo is I could use the head and replace the cab at a later date, that cab is actually plenty loud for me and what I would use it for.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034X

4. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Save your money and get the Markbass 2x10 combo. That thing rocks and weighs something like 25 pounds.

What Quad mentioned would be an awesome combo as well, but be prepared to lug around a 100 pound amp. I used to have a 100 pound combo and got casters installed. Made life a lot easier.

Check out the Ampeg starter combo. Its called the BA115. I was using it at my local Guitar Center and it sounded pretty good. Its basic, but will only set you back $350.

I used to have an Ampeg B-2 combo about 10 years ago. I got rid of it on a whim, and I wish I never did. It sounded great, and for larger gigs, I added an Ampeg 2x10 cabinet. I used to get a lot of compliments on the sound.

The best answer to your question though is to go to a music store and try out every amp possible in your price range. Find the one that YOU like!

Good luck.

5. Rakie

Thanks, i'll do some more digging, maybe i'll have to head to a GC... i've never been inside one, lmao.

6. in the USED range look for anything with or over 200 watts. that's good enough to do some gigs and practice with.

check out

Talkbass Classifieds (i know you can find some great deals here)
    Peavey
    Yorkville

OR

save up some more money and with $750 you could get a GREAT setup used.

7. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    I bought a fender bassman,in 2002 a 100wat,i paid 497.00 brand new( don't know about the ones made today) but,it is a real sweet combo,i still enjoy useing it now,since then i bought a ,fender bassman200,25,a pro 400/115 and now ,eden cxc110,wt550,a d210xlt,two d112xlt,and working on two more 112xlt s,oh i also had a bx1200 ,nice jam amp,i love them all

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, it is actually about 40 lbs. Still very lite, but at $999
    it is double what you want to spend.

10. Rakie

Im headed to a GC today, hopefully I can snag something used, thats where im looking ideally.

Wish me luck, maybe i'll find something nice with some balls ;p

Edit: Didnt really find anything I really liked, Tried the Ampeg you mentioned the 220w one, didnt really stand out to me. Im thinking about snagging that Ashdown