1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decimator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Blu bro, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    i am reseaching Decimators and Noise supressors and the like at the moment, as i am needing a little noise out of my chain.

Bit of background info... i run a CS-3 pretty early in my chain (which i love), this pedal squeezers my dynamics to almost nothing which works really well for a couple of songs i do but it adds hum (as we all know).

will a decimator get rid of this "white noise" and leave my tone unaffected?

I am very new to the idea of a decimator and am wondering if i am missing something?

2. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    These things are basically noise gates. What that means is below a certain threshold you can set, they cut the sound.

If you set your threshold low enough, your tone will not change. If you set it too high (because the noise you want to get rid of is too loud) you may have long decaying notes drop out abruptly.

Some of these (like the Decimator G-String) come with a loop. These are more expensive but best suited to heavy use.
    You run into it directly from your instrument and it tracks whether or not you're playing it without affecting it in any way.
    Then after your noisy fuzz pedals you go back into the gate and it will cut the noise if you're not playing.

DirtyDuke and Blu bro like this.
  3. It will get rid of the noise when you're not playing as if you are muted, but once you play the noise will still be there.

4. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    cool. i think i can handle that. it is only noticable when we have pauses in our music for a beat or two. Thanks guys.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Just for a bit of clarity, the ISP Decimator (and the Rocktron HUSH, which set the standard) are NOT noise gates. They're single-ended noise reduction units, which act much like dbx noise reduction does in your stereo. Unlike a gate, noise reduction lowers the entire noise floor to kill the hum and buzz. The difference is that, unlike a noise gate that will chop your signal when it goes below the threshold (effectively killing any sustain you have), noise reduction keeps your sustain and decay of notes intact. Now, something like the Rocktron Guitar Silencer has both; single-ended noise reduction and gating for those that actually want both.

So to answer your original question, yes, the Decimator will kill the white noise you're hearing and retain your tone. It's not a gate.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless they changed the design in the last couple years, the Decimator is definitely a gate- I used one for a bit and it could easily be set to kill your sustain (too easily for my tastes, though as good as any other gate I've tried). You could even sort of emulate a gated fuzz if you turned the threshold up enough.