Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decision about what band to be in

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tallguybcs, May 24, 2001.

1. Ok, I have a choice, I can start a punk band, be the "Leader" and be on my marry, unskilled way. But I was just offered to play in a guys blues rock band, something I have always wanted to do. Although I do like Punk a lot more then Blues, I know I would be more challenged in a Blues type band, and would become a lot better player. I would also have more fun playing more complex stuff rather then roots.

I think the choice is pretty clear, but what do you guys think?

2. Dude, I'd have to go for the punk option. It's my favourite music and it doesn't have to have any less skill involved. The Clash had some wickedly funky basslines.

3. I know, I love punk, but I know I will get bored with it, and I will not become a better bassist. PLus the would be drummer in my punk band is into drugs, and I really dont wanna get back into that. And as much as I love Punk, I also love classic rock, most of which is very blues driven.

4. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Why don't you play on both?

5. I just thought about that, and it might work, or at least try them both and see which one is more promising. But I will have a job, plus I might volenteer as a counsiler at a church camp, so I might be a little busy for 2 bands.

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Blues. Why would you want to pound out roots all day in time to a stoned drummer?

Looking at your profile you seem to like jazz bassists. Blues will provide a much better foundation for that genre.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  8. I'd join the blues band, it sounds like more fun, and if you think it will make you a better bassist, then that's good too.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear. Itll actually be more of a fusion thing of blues, rock and funk stuff. He is apparently real good, although I havent heard him play, but he has a music background and has been playing guitar for for 5 years. Although this is in no way gonna be a gigging band for awhile (were all like 17) it looks like its gonna be a lot of fun.

11. I resent that. Punk bassists don't just 'pound out roots', I've already given an example of a great punk band with great punk basslines (The Clash).

There's no reason whatsoever why you can't have brilliant basslines in a punk band.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hey, you can do multiple bands!!!

I've been in as many as three at once, a drummer I know at one point was LEADING three bands while doing sideman work in two more plus sub gigs!!!

Variety is the spice of life, playing different styles can make you well rounded as a player and any chances to work with more experienced players is almost always worthwhile.

Good luck, have fun whatever you choose to do.

13. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Didn't mean to rain on your parade there yotts. Feel free to insert "play" in place of "pound out roots". The rest of my post, however, remains as stated. FWIW I think you should play whatever music makes you happy, if tallguy said he really loved punk and couldn't stand the Blues and aspired to become the worlds best punk bassist, my opinion would have been stated quite differently. BTW I looked at some of the basslines from The Clash and I agree with you.

14. Oh I have no problem with the rest of it! I wouldn't want to try to keep up with a drummer too stoned to hold onto his sticks! ;o)

15. good call on the clash there yottskry!

i would save the punk thing till later, write some punk songs in your spare time, arrange and practice. this blues band is already set to go, and playing with them will give you experience and prestige. you will be better able to recruit good players for your own band if they've heard of you. unless you're really bad. :p

16. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    never hurts to be in a semi-established band. once you get past the "catching-up" period, it should run smoothly.

best of luck in either or both ventures.

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Do both. Right now i'm in a Latin Jazz/Rock band then a different band is rock/metal. great change of styles & makes me better. come summer i will be in LJHS marching band-lots of fun & different styles. thats all