Decision for downsizing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Dec 10, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Call me stupid if you wish, but after considerating many things in my musical life, I figured out I had no more real reason to keep on carrying heavy gear from gig to gig. The fact is, having a sophisticated rig seems more useful for rehearsals than for gigs. At least for me. When you play live with a 4000 W P.A. system with wedge monitors for each musician and so on, it doesn't matter that much whether you use a 50 W bass amp or a 1500 W one. In such a case, the most important thing is tone.

That's why I decided I would save my backbone now. And instead of having a big rig AND a combo, I just sold my Ashdown rig and I am waiting for the delivery of a combo. More exactly an Ampeg B-100R.

I'd be glad to share experiences with other musicians who also downsized their arsenal at any time...

All the best,
  2. mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    I haven't downsized, but one thing that I've noticed is that almost all of the time the sound guys won't run the bass through the monitors. It takes up too much power and I've heard a few monitors sound like they were ready to explode when they did run it through. Maybe your situation is different.
    I'm currently using a 2x12 with a seperate power amp and pre-amp. It takes me 3 trips in (I carry a backup bass as well) and about 20 minutes to set up, so it's not really that big of a hassle for me.
    Sometimes I wish I was a singer though....the most they have to carry is a mike.......
  3. I basically did the same thing, except I added a cab rather than selling anything off.

I got a 112 cab, ~40#s and a Gigbag with backpack-style straps and a luggage cart.

I put the cab on the cart, head on the cab, bungee it together and strap on the bass and i'm in with nearly no physical exertion in one trip. Im still in my 20's, so i cant imagine how lazy I'll be when old :D
  4. jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Why even use a combo? I did a show a few weeks ago with just a SABDDI. Problem is that it didn't sound good and there wasn't much I could do about it. It would have been more enjoyable if I had my rig. A typical beat up wedge is not going to deliver the ultimate bass tone and you have a much harder time tweaking the sound so you get just the right amount of mids and highs to cut through. I think you could run into a similar situation if your new combo is not loud enough. Also your bandmates might want to hear "your sound", too, rather than whatever the wedges can deliver. OTOH, I did a show with a band once that had NO amps whatsoever. Everything ran through preamps and FX units in one big rolling rack. They were pretty pleased with the results. It was kind of funny to see the guitar player kneeling in front of the monitor trying to get is guitar to sustain and feed back.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm currently downsizing my rig, or should I say adding options. As I have my Hartke 3500/Peavey 410 stack, I'm selling my old Peavey TNT combo and buying a small cab instead, Ashdown 12T.

The Ashdown coupled with Hartke 3500 should be fine for practicing and smaller gigs or as a monitor, and when I need more volume I whip the 4x10" out.
  6. I know a bassplayer who is playing at least 250 nights a year. When I 1st saw him the band was just getting started and he was using an SVT with (2) 8x10 cabs. That was about 10 yrs ago. Now he uses a Line6 POD pro into the monitor mixer and folds it back into his wireless ear phones. He loves it. I don't think I could deal with though.