Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decision on effects to buy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Turlu, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am in the mood to buy an excellent muitl-effects unit, like a Line 6 Bass Pod PRO or the Roland V-Bass.

Any suggestions ? Please help.

I need a good overdrive sound and also an integrated EQ settings would be of benefit.

Let me know what you think.

2. IMO these are two completely different animals and neither are really a 'multi-effects unit'. The POD is a bass amp simulator, which models certain staple amplifiers for use in studio or to "get that SVT sound" without having an SVT. It adds some effects like chorus or delay, but doesn't chain a bunch of effects together in a 'multi-effect' format.

I haven't played much with the V-Bass by Roland, but it's a bass synthesizer, which changes the sound coming from the bass to emulate another instrument entirely. It uses the bass signal like a keyboard uses the pressing of keys to 'trigger' sounds from a flute, organ, human voice, orchestra hits, etc. So this isn't really a multi-effect processor either.

Look into the TC Electronics G-Major or G-Force, The Boss VF-1 or SE-70, The Boss GT-6B, Lexicon PCM-80, etc. These units have multi-effects (chorus, overdrive, flange, delay, etc.) and may be more what you're expecting out of a multi-effects unit.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if you can find a digitech bp-8, it's worth the effort to check it out

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    My vote goes to the VF-1. Great machine if you can find one.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Boss VF-1 is excellent for Bass. Add another Vote.
    Also great for just about anything needing FX.
    Vocal's, Key's, P.A. mix, Studio, etc...

Consider a Boss SE 70 in the running.

A used SE 70 may cost the same or more then a VF-1.
    No COSM, just straight up Studio Quality Boss Effects,
    with Analog Overdrive/Distortion and very desireable.

I use a Boss SE 50... great for Bass.
    Really all I need.
    Dumped my Digitech BP-8.

The Best Way to go is to Fergetabout COSM and Modeling...

[​IMG]

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    ...At the same time. :cool:

7. hellboy

hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    No it's not. It's a bass modeller, amp modeller, and multi-fx. You don't have to use the bass models though, you can use it strictly as an amp modeller or multi-fx or both.

As a multi-fx it's really overkill.

The VF-1 is nice (and cheap) and will work for things besides bass, but as a bass-oriented multi-fx the GT-6B is better - more flexible effects routings and with better sound quality. It's essentially a V-Bass minus the bass modelling and with a few other minor differences (the V-Bass has a couple more amp models, for instance).

8. Too... Much... Digital... Crap... Must... Stop myself... From... Slapping... Subwoofer... :eek:

The Behringer multieffect is really nice for a cheap rack effect. Low noise, footswitch capatable, you can link all effects in any order in three different routings. I've been looking at it myself for a while, it looks like a good buy. Has up to six adjustable parameters per effect, 100 user programs, plus wet/dry mixes on most effects. Great for bass... CON... no true bypass.