1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decision time for 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plowboy, May 7, 2006.

1. plowboy

plowboy

Apr 24, 2006
    I've searched and studied comparisons between the high-end super efficient 112's until worn out with it. I need to buy one. It seems the Schroeder is top quality with top power handling but is aimed a little more at cutting through a solid wall of noise and may perhaps a little different sound to it. The Epiphani is light but very expensive, etc. etc. What I'm wanting is a reasonably priced 112 that sounds fantastic in a lower volume environment, but ESPECIALLY (this is very important), is loud with a lower wattage tube head. In other words, a tight focused sound, and maximum efficiency per watt are paramount. It almost seems like the Aguilar 112 is perhaps the pick when I narrow the requirements down like this. What do you folks think. The options of high-end 112's is mind boggling.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    One of the striking aspects of the G-K Neo112 is its fantastic sound at lower volume. It's also very efficient, so I think it's worth considering.

3. Loud is often at the expense of quality balanced tone. The Berg HT112 has a wonderful reputation for tonal quality, but unless you are putting 500 watts through it like the IP112 does, it is not REALLY loud. Not quiet, but not really loud. I think that if your primary concern is loud, then the Schroeder, GK, Eden and EA Wizzy are for you. The Wizzy was an afterthought. It is 4 ohms only, so it should make max use of your amp. Keep in mind that the GS112 is known for its bass and is somewhat mid-scooped which will require more power to get loud. If I wanted loud and light, I would go with one of the new Schroeder 1210 lights. They weigh less than, and are smaller than, most 112s and according to Ken Jung, if needed, they can get extremely loud when you put the power to them.

Edit: I just re-read your post. For loud with lower wattage and reasonable price I think the EA Wizzy is your choice. They are not as common as the GK and GS, but I think they are what you are describing.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The Genz Benz NEOX-112 cabs sound great at lower volumes, yet remain focused at higher levels.

5. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    A friend of mine has a couple of Aguilar 112 and a 4x12. He says he is really satisfied with the single 112 in smaller gigs. I´v heard the sound and it is unbelievable how deep and punchy it was.

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    +1 on the EA WIzzy cabinet. It's incredibly efficient, and also is a 4 ohm cab, which will draw the max power from most amps. On the other hand, that can be a problem if you intend to run two of them, and your amp can't take a 2 ohm load. But for single cab applications, the 4 ohm Wizzy is, imho, very tough to beat.

Cheers,
    Liam

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im partial to the berg ht112. But it seems that if all you want is loud,and dont care about quality, you can be happy with something else.