1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decision time: G&L ASAT Semi-hollow or Lakland Hollowbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LutherHeggs00, Apr 27, 2009.

1. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    I've boiled it down to these two: the G&L ASAT Semi-hollow or a Lakland Hollowbody.

Priced about the same, I can get a active black-bodied and maple FB on the G&L, Lakland has the new passive Chi-Sonics and is PLEK'd, and both are real purty.

I've searched the forums and I'm not finding much info on comparisons, so I'm a askin'.

Any comments and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kompressaur

Kompressaur

Aug 21, 2006
    I dont know anything about the lakland but I did used to own this Asat semi-hollow.

I had a regular solid body Asat as well at the same time. Tonewise they weren't that different plugged in or not.The semi hollow did sound a bit more open with more bass.
    That said the sounds on tap from both were great.

maybe worth getting a new G&L with the PLEK'd neck?

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I can't help with a direct comparison but if, as Kompressaur says, the semi-hollow ASAT sounds pretty much like the solid-body (which I have played), the tonal differences with the Lakland HB are pretty substantial. Kind of depends on what you're looking for. Here are some soundclips of the Lakland HB with Barts (it recently started coming with Chi-sonics, but they don't have clips up for that yet).
    http://lakland.com/ac_hollowbody.htm

4. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    I don't know what the Lakland looks like, but I do know that the G&L will be extremely prone to "neck drop", between the light hollow body and lack of a strap horn. Looks durn sexy, but might not be the most comfortable to play.

I'm a huge G&L fan, but that body shape would make me think twice.

5. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
    I have never noticed any 'neck drop' with an ASAT. Stock, most will hang almost perfectly level. The situation with these is the lack of a long upper horn that makes for a long reach to the lower frets. It can be alleviated if you can find one of Dan the ASAT man's extenders. They are no longer in production, but you can find one here if you are persistant.

Tonally, I would go for the ASAT, unbelievably versatile, you can run it active or passive with a flip of a switch as well. And the necks are very easy to play with a Jazz 1 1/2" at the nut. And how many basses look that cool?

Of course with the Lakland, you will not need an extender, ( I know people who play these without them, no problems, long arms I suppose) which is a plus. The Lakland has a slightly wider neck at the nut, 1.60 vs. 1.50. Plus, it has a bit more of the classic hollowbody thump if that is what you are looking for. Hard call, both are wonderful instruments. But as was mentioned above, it boils down to what you are after tonally.

I say, if it is all possible, go play them both, then decide.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Depends on what sound you are after?

Old School- Lakland

Modern - G&L

7. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    Looking for an old-school tone and thump-presence along with some new-country.

Sounds like the Lakland may have the edge. I wish the ASAT had some sound samples too...

8. Lalo

Lalo

Sep 11, 2003
    San Antonio Texas
    Believe me G&L is all you need, tonal variations you will have, i would deff recommend trying one, you wont regreat it and you will be delighted :bassist:

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Based on this, I think the Lakland should have the edge too.

These are very different basses. The Lakland produces a gorgeous, fat hollowbody tone that will obviously vary depending on pickups. (I personally love the Bartolinis in this application, but haven't tried the Chi-Sonics.) The 34" scale tightens things up a bit compared to many classic short-scale hollowbodies, but it definitely brings the "thud." I think it's wonderful. If I hadn't already bought a DiPinto semi-hollow when these came out, I would have one.

From what I've read, the semi-hollow ASAT doesn't sound much different from the solid version, which, in turn, is basically an L-2000 with a different body shape. This means it's amazingly versatile and incredibly powerful, but it won't come very close to the Lakland's tone. You could, of course, use it for much of the same material, and it will get some old-school tones, but it won't sound like the Lakland. Nor will the Lakland be able to duplicate the clarity, sustain, and mix cutting ability of the ASAT.

For me, the long reach to first position caused by the ASAT's short upper horn is a deal-breaker. I sold the DiPinto largely because it had the same issue. If I wanted dual-MFD humbuckers, I'd just get an L-2000/2500, which are amazing instruments.

G&L uses a Plek machine too, and you won't find many easier necks than the ASAT's #8. I have two G&L's with Plek'd #8 necks, and they achieve very low action with no buzz. But I think the Lakland's neck is really comfy too. You won't go wrong with either playability wise.

10. DrPieZon

DrPieZon

Nov 16, 2007
    Nashua, NH
    As a Lakland HB owner, I think it would be perfect match for your application. With flats, dial up a beautiful old school P tone using the bridge pickup. Using just the neck pickup you can get an almost upright-ish tone. Mine has the Barts, I have not tried one with the CHI's.

11. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    I was always/am a fan of Barts. Hopefully the new Chi's are not too far a departure from them.

Hopefully someone that has a Lakland with the new Chi's will chime in as I assume you cannot get one with Bart's anymore (or without the extra $$$ hit).