Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decision time (new bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Feb 15, 2004.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    :help:

I'm about to get a new bass. Here is what I'm considering and why;

Rickenbacker 4003. This is the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend. Everything I want in an instrument, but the price is hard to justify, at least for me because I'm more of a recreational player.

Musicman SUB. The price is a bit more palatable, and it's still a made in USA product, which is a big selling point. The one I played wasn't too comfortable though.

Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass. Price is right, and my screen name should tell you the rest. :cool: However, it is not made in the USA and no dealers around here have one. I've always said I would never mail order an instrument without playing one first.

Others on the outside looking in; Lakland Skyline 44-01, G&L Tribute, Spector NS 2000 Q4. All are nice but again, the made in the USA thing. Used instruments are not in the picture, because it's too hard to find what you want locally, and I'll never be comfortable with the idea of shelling out major coin through ebay.

I'll always be a rocker, with a bit of a metal/experimental twinge (think King's X mixed with a bit of early Cure/Cult) being my future aim. Also, after a two-year experiment with playing a five-string I've decided to stick with four. Just a matter of personal taste and comfort.
    :bassist:

2. Definetly go for the G&L Tribute. I've played the 4 string Tribute and Musicman S.U.B. 4&5. The Tribute kicks their butt. The bridge, electronics and pickups are much better than the subs. You can still get that Stingray sound if you want. Some of the tributres controls can be invaluabe on stage. The tribute still has the ash body and electonics found on their U.S. made basses, the sub has a poplar body, only 2 band eq and the pickup is passive, not active. Both basses still sounded great and both were very confortable for to play. I honestly think that the tribute is a steal and the S.U.B. is a ripoff. The tributes finish is much better than the S.U.B.'s is. That sub pickguard is about a 1/16" thick aluminum on cardboard, cheesy. But the sub did have a nice neck (back is painted black :) ). But musicman sucks at cutting the grooves for the frets. There was about 2mm of extra cut space for the frets on both of the subs (extremely bad). I can understand that you want a more prestigious bass but the tribute is as good as any.

3. i'd say the rickenbacker. im a big fan of rickenbacker basses. i'd say they are well worth the money.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think all of the basses you talk about in the post are good basses... I would probably skip on the Spector because I don't think that it is as good a deal as the rest, but the rest are snazzy... I would probably narrow it down to the lakland, the gl, the sub or the tribute. All of the prices on those basses are comparable, and all those basses are significant value for the price.... and they all resemble their more expensive brothers in a great many ways! I would probably skip on the Ric, because for the price of the ric you could probably get 2 of the others! I wouldn't worry about those bassses that are not made in the US, the quality of those basses are great! I have two skylines, I went through a geddy lee, and I have played several tributes looking for one I really dig... I think they are done very well....

P@

P@

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The answer appears self evident.

Then don't buy that.
    This is where is helps us when you fill out your profile. There are people here who might have suggestions, depending on locale, no locale, no suggestions..
    Once again, profile gives influences and orientation.

Based on what you said, go with the Rick. it's everything you always wanted. You know you will buy one eventually anyway, start looking now.

Happy G.A.S. !!!

Thor

6. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Ok, my profile is now fully updated.

My main gripe with the SUB was the fact that the action was set so high. This is an adjustable problem, so I won't let that alone deter me from getting it. I played a Stingray after that and it felt fine, having an more comfy string setting. I think playing the ray may ultimately have been a mistake, because now I'm thinking I want one of those. :ninja: Why does money have to be such a problem? :bawl:

7. Outta curiosity, how much does the RIC cost in your area?

I know you said you didnt want to mail order...but www.ricpage.com sells the 4003's in standard colours for 995$
    Ive ordered from them myself...and they were great to deal with.
    Out of all the choices RIC would be my number 1. But i love RIC's and are biased towards them :)

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I played a SUB 5 stringer this weekend and was REALLY impressed!!! Lots of Bang-for-the-Buck there!! What comfort issues did you have with it?

9. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    My issue with the SUB was the string height, but that can be adjusted. I can say that my right hand felt very much at home on it however.

AMS also has the Rics for 995. If I was to mail order something it would be that. I'm off to try one out hopefully after I post this.

10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Hey -

Yes the Geddy Lee is not made in the US, but it IS the best bass for the money. If you like the jazz bass, a geddy lee is a SWEET deal. I ordered one from a guy in Canada, thinking I would use it as a backup to my Warmoth Jazz. It BLEW it away!! Attainable at less than $600, smokin tone, great playability. I switched out the pickups with Nordstrand stacked hum cancelling replacement and the tuners for Hipshots. It is now my number one bass, without a doubt. It was better than any of the American Jazz basses I had tried, and with the upgrades - it's awesome.

I say if you are a huge Geddy fan - (I'm not) - than this is without a doubt the bass for you.

11. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Ok, back from today's shopping.

I found a Ric. A used 1973 model, and I must admit I was somewhat dissapointed. It had a couple of annoying problems; a noisy pickup switch that wouldn't stay in the up position and the G string would slip out of it's bridge saddle if it was hit with any kind of moderate force. Sounded good though, and I'm sure it would be great for Beatles covers or something like that. While my death metal days may be over, I still like to throw down occasionally, so this was not for me. It also had action set very high, which annoyed the crap out of me.

I also played a Musicman Sterling and a used G&L. The G&L was the same model that the Tribute I played last week was based on. I have to say I liked the Tribute better, but that's not fair because the G&L had seen it's share of use and had old strings. If money was no object I'd have the Sterling right now. It was wonderful. I loved the slimmer neck, which brings me back to my screen name, or more specifically, the Geddy Lee Fender. I've always liked the J bass neck (always prefered the P sound though :meh: ), and the Lee model doesn't have the thing I don't like about Fenders, which is the tiny bridge. I don't know why I don't like the Fender standard bridge, I just don't. I really wish one of the local music stores had a Lee model, because I want to play one something fierce. It may not matter though because if I can marshall the funds I'm going to nab that Sterling, I liked it too much.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    FYI, I've had a Rick 400x before, and while I love their sound when practicing/recording, they have big problems cutting through a live mix, which is why I originally switched to Fender (though I no longer have one... I now play a few boutique basses, but they all have the same capabilities and more). I believe this is also why Geddy went to a Jazz. The Rick just has too much depth and not enough presence to me.

IMHO, the G&L/MM or (Fender Geddy model) is a better way to go for a bass that will do best under all circumstances instead of just a few specific circumstances.

On the other hand, if you can do a Roscoe LG/SKB, even better ;)

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That usually happens with the 4001's. Their nuts aren't as good, and the electronics tend to get noisy. My school has a 1974 4001, and the strings occasionally slip, but I still love it. Plus, when I bought my 4003 (made in 2003), I absolutely loved it. It was a totally different experience.

15. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I haven't completely wrote the Ric off yet, if only because it's possible I could get it on AMS's payment plan.

That Sterling has really stuck in my mind. Money issue though.

The Geddy has also come back into focus, and I'm also trying to find a Skyline. Everything else is on the back burner.

16. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Back from playing around a bit more.

I finally found a new Ric. More like what I expected, although I must still give a slight edge to the Sterling. I just hope the one I was looking at lasts until my tax refund comes in, because nobody else around has one.

I also found a Lakland 44-02. Nice feel. No 44-01s though. This is where I need everybody's help. How do the 44-01s compare in terms of feel to the 02s? I know they will sound different because of the pickups.

Still no Geddy Lee models, although one dealer is expecting one in a week or so.

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They're nearly impossible to find. I played one at GC, and was going to buy it, but it was sold later that week. So I moved on, looked in other places and no luck.. So I bought a Rick :p

18. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Surprise entry; a Warwick Corvette Proline on sale at my local GC. I played it and it felt divine. It is now down to that and the Ric, and if my tax refund comes tomorrow like it's supposed to I'm pulling the trigger on one of them.

The pressure is on.

:bassist:

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Oh! The suspense! *waits eagerly*

20. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    The winner is....

The Warwick Proline. It felt good, sounded good, and I didn't have to mail order it.

Thanks for sticking with me AAA. :smug: