1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decision time: SX SJB-62 Short Scale, or Cort Action Bass Junior?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hooky_marr, Mar 10, 2006.

1. I've been looking for a well-made "modern" short-scale for quite some time. For the price (both sub $300 CDN) the SX and Cort basses seem very good, and very easy to upgrade if desired. I've seen a lot of praise for the SX basses, and a few nods for the Cort as well. Ultimately, the deciding issue for me is how comfortable each is - I've read some notes that the SX short-scales are neck-heavy, which I'd like to avoid.

What say you, TBers?

2. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I just got the SX Short-Scale for my son. He's 11 and wanted a bass like mine (Fender Jazz). I was very surprised by the quality. I can't seem to stop playing it myself! I've never played a short-scale before. I was expecting no bottom end, thin tone, etc. But I went so far as to go into one of my old ProTools projects and do the bass track with the SX. Then I sat back and did an A/B comparison between the sound of the SX in the mix vs. my Fender.

Almost identical tone. It was crazy. The low E was plenty fat on the SX. The pickups seemed slightly more noisy, but I'm comparing them against Fender Noiseless Vintage Jazz pickups, so I'm not surprised.

Regarding the neck weight: It feels fine to me. But then again, I'm very new to the short-scale scene.

3. With so much positive feedback about the SX's (and having checked out one of their P-basses in a local store) I decided to order the SJB short-scale from Rondo...

Like so many other buyers I'll likely have it modded and tweaked (nut / frets / shielding / electronics to start). I have a thru-body bridge from an old Stu Hamm bass I might install - the gold might look weird with the silver hardware, but whatever - I'm wondering how a thru-body bridge might affect string tension or tone, I'm thinking it might help on a shorter scale instrument.

As for pickups, I'm partial to Bartolinis, but if I'm going for a more vintage sound (mod, motown, the Jam etc.) is there something else folks recommend?

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    sx +1