Decision time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, May 21, 2003.

1. O.k. hear it is. I'm extremely unhappy with my BTB. I just my big check in the mail and I've got about $1,200 to spend. Now the problem is deciding between the couple of options that I have. One of course is not to buy a new bass and put the money in the bank. Two is buy a Fender Am. Deluxe J and three is between a music man or rickenbacker. So I need you guys to everyone to help. So here's something to help you help me.
    The tone I'm looking for is kind of like Dillinger Escape Plan, Tool, Refused, and Glassjaw all thrown into one. Actually, if anyone has ever heard the song the shape of punk to come by Refused. That's the exact bass tone I want. So which bass would give me more of that sound? Which would you guys say is the best all around. Or should I just get a Pod and shape the BTB tone? Please please please please please help.
  2. After listening to the JP Bass thread. I think I might save up for one of those things. What do you think?
  3. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Look used, you can find some good basses for 1200. I just bought a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 for 1200, and its SUPER nice.

And you can usually find a nice used Music Man for around 700-800.

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    If you're extremely unhappy with the BTB, sell it here or on ebay and put that money towards a new bass. Then put the rest in the back :) Best of both worlds. :D
  5. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Just curious, whats wrong with the BTB? I really want to get one of those this summer. Starting to hear alot of people not liking them...whats the problem with it?
  6. DO NOT RUSH. There's no time factor, is there?
    Take a lot of time and check out as many basses as you can. I'd also like to know what you don't like about the BTB.

Leave the bread in the bank 'till you're sure.

Remember: "Buy a bass in haste, repent at playing." ;)

7. Sorry about that guys. Anyway, as far as playing goes the BTB is super nice. It plays so well for the price I paid. Like $500 and it's got all these tones that you can get out of it. My problem is that I just don't like the any of the tones it offers. I got huge low end, a really tight B string, and the neck is pretty fast and comfortable. I think a lot of it has to do with my head. It's an SWR 4004 workingman. Solid state just isn't for me. It's not bright at all. I asked my guitar players the same question that I posted. Get a new head or a new bass? And they said that the bass has a lot to do with the tone that you get. I mean, I can get some alright sound with the SWR preferred settings but solid state just sounds like dooky to me. Real flat and cardboard like. Though I have played my BTB through a lot of tube heads and I still wasn't happy with the tones it offered. (Hartke and Ampeg). It's a really nice bass, it just doesn't have what I want.
  8. Oh, and I'm selling both if anyone is interested.
  9. i don't think solid state is the problem. if you want "bright" then tubes are not your best bet. have you tried a stingray?
  10. Not with my current setup. I've been looking at those though.
  11. Anybody know about pricing on those JP basses?
  12. I have a BTB and thought it wasn't as bright as I was used to before buying it.. But After recording with it, I noticed its one of the brightest sounding basses I've played ever.. The problem was my amp.. it's a 100 watt fender BXR..
    What kind of cab are you using? If it's 15" I think you should consider trying something with 10"s or maybe something with a tweeter.

Anyway.. If you still want to replace it, good luck.