Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gia, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I have summer exams next week and if I pass 4 with over 80% I get a 5 string bass.
    IF i do meet the criteria what do you suggest I should get ?
    My budget is around $1000
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You have a lot to choose from. But I'm going to suggest:

DP Custom

I mean, look at the guy's prices! Imagine yourself having a fully custom-made instrument for under $1000!

Give it a thought. :)
  3. Oysterman,

Have you ever tried out any of the DP Custom basses? Any idea as to how it sounds and feels or what kinds of basses they are comparable to? The price seems too good to be true especially for a custom bass!
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Alexssandro: I have no idea, but there are a few TB'ers who do. The ones I can think of right now are (Kurt) Kurosawa and Luis Fabara (if he has gotten his yet). Why don't you e-mail them?
  5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

You need to pass not just for the bass but for yourself, there are alot of top line basses you can get used for 1000.00 what did you have in mind ?or are you set on new ? take a look on this site,
  6. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My suggestion would be to look for a high quality used bass. eBay, Bass Northwest, Bass Central, etc. would be the places that I would search. My guess is that you will be able to find a wonderful used 5 string at your price.

Best of luck on your exams.

7. I definitely second that. You can basically get a $2000 bass used for $1000. $2000 basses are really, really, really nice, even used.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

alex - I think sound with a DP Custom may be an issue if you got his standard/default components.

But if you do the work to find which upper end components work well together, I think the final outcome is pretty well assured. I researched and spec'd woods (even down to how it was sawn), electronics, dimensions, etc and I'm certain mine will be a winner. (As Dave said, "Man, you have expensive tastes!" :rolleyes: )

Angel - Take a look at places like and if you don't want to do the homework required for a DP Custom. If you are willing to do the research for your spec's. and you are willing to wait a couple of months, then you should consider DP.