Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decisions: Ampeg Scrambler or TS9DX/808

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mksolid, Aug 24, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I just landed a new job and to celebrate with my last check from the old one, I'm going to dish out around $200 for a pedal. However, I'm caught up between the scrambler and the analogman modded ts9dx/808. I definitely have been looking for some type of overdrive, and it would certainly be unique to have the added effects of the scrambler... but im not sure if I could also use the scrambler as merely an overdrive pedal (the description says that it provides overdrive, tho it is impossible to get sound samples of this thing). Anyone hear the new scrambler yet, or have any opinions/advice on what I should do?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    If you are looking for overdrive, don't get a scrambler... As it is an Octave Fuzz, it will be imposible to get traditional "overdrive" sounds from it. The Scrambler is more of a crazy go nuts fuzz, way over the top...

Alex

3. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    ditto. the scrambler is a wild ride. TS9/808 is a totally different beast, providing warm midrange-heavy OD. I would actually suggest the Fulltone Bass Drive over the TS9/808. Does a lot more for the same kinda $$$.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  5. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Tplyons.. unless it's not coming through well for me, I can't hear much happening other than 3/4 way through the clip it sounds like an autowah.

6. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    oh, wouldnt the beano boost be possibly better than the fulltone in that case?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You gotta turn like ALL the way up, the person who recorded it did it really quietly.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No actualy, that soundclip is of a envilope filter man... There isn't an ounce of fuzz in that mp3...

Alex

9. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    I agree..though it's a good sound..what autowah is that? an EH?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The guy who recorded it assures me its an Ampeg, I'm skeptical too. I'll shoot him an email.