Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decisions- Build or Buy... Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well I've been thinning out the crop a little bit (3). And well I'll have a little bit of money since I was really only thinning out since they were either the wrong amount of strings, or I just didn't play them. But like i said i'll have money, and I have no other hobbies, and I don't drive, so really, I'm a loser who only plays bass. I allready have lessons so don't say buy lessons.

I've been debating building a P. That I think is what i really want. I have a MM style modulus. And a JJ style Warmoth (i hate the neck). But I think that I really want a P/J or Darkstarred bass. Currently all my basses are active. And it'd be real great to get a passive one in there, so I should probably keep it passive. But this brings me to my point. Should I buy a bass or should I build the bass. I'm an expirienced builder, as I've built a warmoth and assembled it. And it's got great tone- I love it. Or is it smarter to just get a bass thats done. I'm looking for the cheapest out here so I have some money left over so I don't feel poor. If you think I should buy one- I know i'll be looking used to get the most band for my buck (around 600). But what should I be looking at for the 600 range for a good passive P, P/J or Darkstarred bass.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan