1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decisions- Build or Buy... Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well I've been thinning out the crop a little bit (3). And well I'll have a little bit of money since I was really only thinning out since they were either the wrong amount of strings, or I just didn't play them. But like i said i'll have money, and I have no other hobbies, and I don't drive, so really, I'm a loser who only plays bass. I allready have lessons so don't say buy lessons.

I've been debating building a P. That I think is what i really want. I have a MM style modulus. And a JJ style Warmoth (i hate the neck). But I think that I really want a P/J or Darkstarred bass. Currently all my basses are active. And it'd be real great to get a passive one in there, so I should probably keep it passive. But this brings me to my point. Should I buy a bass or should I build the bass. I'm an expirienced builder, as I've built a warmoth and assembled it. And it's got great tone- I love it. Or is it smarter to just get a bass thats done. I'm looking for the cheapest out here so I have some money left over so I don't feel poor. If you think I should buy one- I know i'll be looking used to get the most band for my buck (around 600). But what should I be looking at for the 600 range for a good passive P, P/J or Darkstarred bass.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan