1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decisions. Decisions...future consideration

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThudThudThud, Dec 7, 2011.

1. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Help me out here... Looking to upgrade after years and years of 'poverty.' Likely I will have fundage in the spring.

Current set up: Passive (J or P)>Pedals (tuner, compressor, SABDDI, SAPBDDI [yes, both], EQ, OD, Flange, Chorus [not in that order])>Rack parametric EQ>Carvin 1000w power amp>Peavey FC410

Now I know the FC410 (with Scorpions) is technically a sound reinforcement speaker, but it's been good to me and is easy to cart about. The sound isn't 'bad,' but I feel I could be getting more. I also play with a 15" combo in practice and I like the beef there too...

Should I:
    * Get a rack pre-amp, keep the Carvin, and upgrade the speaker cabinet?
    * Get a 'proper' bass amp, plus upgrade the cabinet?

Suggestions please. If you will give reasons. Pre>Power>Cab vs. Bass Amp>Cab. I don't have a truck, so 8x10 fridges are out of the question (plus I'm old and don't want to lug such stuff about). I used to have big tube amps and fridge set ups, but that part of my life has gone (unless I get a roadie!).

Looking to spend about $700. I know I can always save for better, but that's not the point here. As I mentioned, funds will come in the spring, so I'll have a chance to research and even try stuff out. Prefer rack mounting for ease of moving around/avoiding damage.

Playing hard rock originals with two loud guitar players and a drummer who hits hard. I need to some power there. I tend to play relatively clean, but with a little 'tube emulation' growl - adding dirt from the OD (SD Lava Box) or from a pre-set on the SAPBDDI when required.

Thoughts?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, if you the rack rig route, your current power amp has enough power for pretty much whatever you do and you already own it. If you do go with an all-in-one bass head, something like a Carvin or other similair head with a lot of tone shaping built in could eliminate the need for one or both of your eq's. Do you "need" 2 sansamps? I'm more of a plug and play guy, don't use many external effects so I don't know what to do about that stuff. It seems like a lot of stuff.

There's more cabs out nowdays that can give you more heft, presence in the mix than scorpions. I'd look for an upgrade there. Aside from commercial built cabs there's DIY designs and people who can build them for you. Most of these are of higher quality than a lot of mass produced stuff. There's also places like LDS that can help taylor a build to your liking.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 not sure how necessary it is to use 2 separate pre's, but I'm a big fan of "sound processing" as well, so whatever gets you your tone. I would focus on a good bass cab, 4x10, 2x12, whatever, but something good. This will mean buying used with your budget.

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks. Exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for. The SABDDI is just part of my sound (always on, with a little Tubey emulation going on). The Programmable works more as a stomp/EQ than anything. I probably don't "need" both, but I like the sonic flexibility it gives me.

I think the cab is the main thing...

How about something like a Tech21 RBI (there I go again with the SansAmps!), or RPM plus a good-ish 4x10?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Don't skimp on the cabs. Thay's my best advice.

6. Unless you hate the pedals+power amp sound, upgrade the cabs. $700 is a used cab can get you quite far tone-wise.

Avatars and LDS can be found new in that price range.

7. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Carvin BRX10.4NEO $624 shipped if you live in the USA. A beautiful cab.

8. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Whatever you do, don't skimp on the cab..... prob the most important part of your rig.....

9. I would keep the rack set up you have. If I ever add another amp set up to my line up it will be a sansamp of some sort into a power amp. A good 410 or more is what you really need. I would take a serious look at the Avatar web site and check out their offerings. With your set up I would consider the 412...

10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Ooooh....Avatar.....
    They look just the ticket!
    Thank you all.

11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    So I'm down to either a less expensive (Carvin) 4x10 + 2X10 (for flexibility), and an Avatar 4x10.
    Is the NEO worth the extra. I see the additional frequency response.

Nearly there...

12. I wouldnt bother with a 410+210 set up. It doesnt really make any sense to run a 410 and 210 in parallel (if they are the same impedance). You will be pushing the 210 just as hard as the 410, so while the 210 is at its peak your 410 will just be warming up. At the same power level through them they will sound different. Now if you are bi amping them this is a different story. If you are worried about the volume the 412 is still an option that will net you more volume than the 410.

Your back will thank you in the long run if you get the NEO's. Yeah its more money but if you are planning on keeping the cab it will pay off. Hell if you are planning on selling the cab later it will pay off, less shipping easier sell.

13. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. The rules have all changed since I last spent any time looking at gear.

I'm very interested in the NEO 410 from Avatar. Although, the Carvin 4x10N also look pretty good. As long as I get efficiency (which I don't feel I get now) with a good 4x10 it should be loud enough.
    Two half-stacked loud guitar players and a drummer who hits things hard means I need clarity and volume.

I do keep seeing people lauding up the 12s. Back in the day (argh), the only 12" bass cabs I knew were the Marshalls, and they really didn't speak to me. As I said, everything has changed.