1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zmebass76, Feb 20, 2016.

1. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I've narrowed down my choices for a new lightweight, gig-worthy amplifier to the following:

Mesa Boogie Subway D800
    TC Electronic BH800
    GK MB800
    Bugera BV1001T

Anyone with personal, gigging experience, preferably in a hard rock/metal setting, with any of these amps? I'm leaning toward the Mesa because I've tried one out and I really like the tone, plus it's a Mesa. But I like the TCE because of the tone print options. I owned a GK combo a while back and liked it's tone, and I've read good things about the Bugera. Please, someone help me choose!

2. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Wow, no one has used these amps? Maybe no one responds because I'm not a frequent poster?

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    of those, i'd go for the GK MB800 - sounds great, insanely small and light. but of course, that's my personal taste - yours may be different.

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  4. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Thanks for your feedback! I'd like to try one out and hear for myself. I've always liked the tone of GK amps, but I heard that they have reliability issues at times.

DOMIT likes this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i haven't heard that. people here speak very well of them.

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Haven't gigged or owned any of these, but here's my impressions from in-store.

D800 - Effortless balls. The amp I aspire to be worthy of. Improved the sound of every cab I paired with it.
    BH800 - TCE just isn't my tone. Something in the upper mids just doesn't work for me, but it also might have been the cab. YMMV.
    MK800 - Signature G-K tone, with grit. If that's your thing, don't think twice to sign up. Very powerful, still amazed at the size.
    BV1001 - I can't remember if I tried the version with or without the tube preamp, but it was far and away one of my least favorite tonewise. Enormous power, but so what?

7. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I'm seriously leaning toward the Mesa, since I have first-hand experience with it. I just wish it had an effects loop and rack ears, but those are petty concerns. And thank you for your feedback! Much appreciated!

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Hmm, is this because you have a rack mounted effects unit that is an integral part of your sound? If not, don't worry yourself about trying to rack mount these mini-heads. Even the smallest rack case can easily weigh 3x the head, so what's the point? Get a good padded bag and that's all the protection necessary.
    Pedals inline sound just fine. I've not found much benefit of the effects loop, but I'm no expert.
    And I agree the TCE TonePrints are a pretty cool solution, especially if you only use one or two effects.

9. Your problem is the thread title.
    If you put at least some of the choices in the title, you might get more hits.

10. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I have a wireless unit, a tech 21 RBI preamp, and a compressor in my rack.

11. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    Out of those 4, Mesa all day long.

xelaalex likes this.
  12. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Either the Mesa or the GK.