Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stangg, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Warwick

27 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. Conklin

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Spector

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  4. Carvin

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Well, i'm going to get a new bass, and i need help! i'm stuck between four brands: warwick, conklin, spector, and carvin.

2. If I had to get one of those, it would be the conklin, but only cause I want a 7 string. Warwicks, IMHO, are comparable with Ibanez to me. Spectors are much better, mostly cause warwick copied them, and the originals are always best. Carvin is good for the money, but the guys that work there seemed more into selling their stuff then giving information about what the best product would be.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Bill Conklin will build you anything you want to your specs. I would think that would be the "best" for anyone. You just have to know what you want, and come up with the cash for a custom instrument.

If you're buying off the rack, the "best" is just way too subjective. All the manufacturers you listed make good basses. It just depends on what you like.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Originals always best? So a Fender is better than a Sadowsky? (This is subjective) I dont think so.
    Also Warwicks comparable to Ibanez? ***??? A Warwick is handmade in Germany, with Very High-Tech design into the fret materials and bridge and the nut too.
    The wood... The woods are just AMAZING!!! Warwick tone is GREAT. I dont even see anything to be compared to Ibanez, but the fact that they both make Basses.

Spectors are better? That depends on what you are looking for. And I really think that only the CRFM and the US made Spectors are worth it.

5. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    IMO Carvin should not even be a contender here given the brands you have listed.

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Doesn't that all depend on which models of the various brands you are interested in? There are American Spectors and Korean Spectors, Warwicks without the multi-part bridge, custom Conklins and "Groove Tools" Conklins, and well I guess Carvins are Carvins. Not to diss any particular country-of-origin (heck, my own next desired instrument is Korean-made) but there are noticeably different quality levels available in pretty much each manufacturer you list.

7. Hey ifabara, maybe tallguybcs is confusing Warwick with Washburn, and originals are always better! Tell that to the crew on the Hindenberg.....

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As craigb said, which Conklin, which Spector, which Warwick? Carvins are pretty much the same, except for fancy woods and pickup options.

The Korean Spectors are like the Streamer Standard in quality, the Czech Spectors are like the Thumb and Streamer Stage models in quality and the US Spectors are better than any Carvin or Warwick in quality.

Carvins are around the Warwick and Czech Spector, awesome quality for the price.

The Groove Tools are kind of like the Korean Spectors and the Streamer Standards, maybe a little better.

The custom shop Conklins are better than any of these, at least the 2 that I've seen in person were.

Which apples vs. which oranges?

9. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Warwick-Corvette proline 6-string
    spector-usa 6-string
    conklin-some custom walnut/maple 6-string
    carvin-LB76

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If money is no object, get the Spector or the Conklin.

11. I agree with Jeff - Conklin or Spector... unless you prefer the Carvin or Warwick! The most important thing is to get the one that will make you want to play!

:D

12. VW Beetle or Porsche Carrera? You take the original; I'll take the 'copy'.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Why wake up a thread that's been silent for 16 months!? :confused:

14. my thoughts exactly. Hopefully the buy that started the thread is still keeping a close watch on it:p

15. From your limited list,I would choose Spector.

That would be the best for me.Not sure what would be best for you though.That is something you,and you alone can decide. :)

16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Has he made a choice yet?

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I know you have been told this but I think it would be a good idea to actually play these (Carvin excluded) to see what feels good in your hands. The neck profiles on all of these instruments are different and some might not work for you. Insofar as tone goes I would pick the USA Spector pretty much hands down. I like the tone of Conklins and I know they are great basses but I just can't get past the look of them.