decisions, decisions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rippin' Robin, May 20, 2001.

1. which bass to buy?
    Ibanez BTB or
    Peavey Cirrus 5 or
    A cheap MTD or
    Spector NS2000QS

any people here who play any of the basses mentioned above?
    Which one to choose? They're all alike but all have their individual plusses.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Rippin' - I don't see how you say "they're all alike." The Cirrus and a lower end MTD are hardly competing, in terms of dollars, for just one level of comparison.

The Cirrus is clearly the outstanding bass among those you listed. This is the bass that is getting respect from people who normally dis Peavey.

If price is an issue, an MTD Kingston is a lot of bass for the money.

As for the Ibanez and the Korean Spector - what "plusses?".
  3. Judging by what I've heard, their specs are all vaguely resemblant.

The BTB's "plus" is the mono-rail bridge and the vari-mid eq (I love scooping out mids)

I've heard very good reports about the Spector too.

Peavey's product support is said to be very unreliable - and I don't really like peavey :)

Bottom line: the perfect bass would be a 35", 5-string, active-PU axe.
  4. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I think the Peavey comes as close to your "perfect bass" description than the others you listed, also in terms of quality it is suppsoed to be the best of the four (and the only one made in the USA) also its on a different price range than the other 3.
    'bottom line': try all four of them and get the one that fits your playing style and budget the most.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Go with the Peavey. I have one and can't say enough good things about it. But that is my opinion.

As far as their customer support, I have had pretty good luck with them. I blew 2 speakers on my 810tx cabinet, and they took care of it immediately. No problems at all.

6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If the BTB is the newest higher end of the Ibanez, then I'd say it is by far better than any other Ibanez I've ever dinked around with, but it still falls short of the Peavey Cirrus 5. The Cirrus 5 and the Warwick Thumb are the two basses I have to talk myself out of buying whenever I'm toying around at local music stores.

When you consider that all my basses are high end Alembics, that says something about the tone and quality of the Thumb and the Cirrus.

Try all the ones you've listed. I for one will be surprised if you go for anything other than the Cirrus.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not big on Peavey or Ibanez (surprise, surprise), but I've played the Cirrus and the BTB, and really liked them both. Overall, I'd go with the Cirrus.
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    if it was up to me.. i would definately got for the Cirrus 5. The feel of the neck is just unbelievable. I loved the neck on the Cirrus 5 more than on a Modulus Quantum 5. Cirrus neck is very flat and very fast. I loved it. :)

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is probably what I like best about the Cirrus 5. I have yet to find a bass with a neck that is more comfortable.
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    YAY! :D
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    IMO the Cirrus is what you should go for. Although I HIGHLY suggest you try all of them. And not just say "Oh, the cirrus is best, we'll get that one tommorrow" (not implying you were going to, but I've seen people do that already)

The Cirrus overall seems to be the best, but each of them are their own animal, as far as I've heard.
  12. It's very unlikely that I shall find any of these basses in a shop here in the netherlands, although I recall seeing an Ibanez BTB once.

I have yet to see a MTD, Spector or Peavey in real life, but I have plenty of time so .. THE QUEST CONTINUES! :) Hey, maybe some freak will offer me a Quantum Q5 for $500.. miracles happen every day.

Thanx for the input, all! it's been very helpful.
  13. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    theres a nice BTB at Dirk Witte in Amsterdam, not sure what model and I didn't actually play it but there is one.

hope this helps.
  14. thanx, not likely that I'll travel that way for a bass, but thanks anyway!
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, a rare chance...but I'm feelin' a bit saucey:D Time for me to dis Spector:eek:

Spector makes some of the best bass guitars money can buy (whether you like 'em or not is another story). And, Stuart licensed his incredible product to the Czechs for a budget-version. From what I've seen and heard, it's a good value, too!

But the Q series? It's not worth the money in my opinion. I played one a month ago and my jaw dropped, not in a flattering way, either! It sounded flat, looked cheap, and just didn't carry the Spector vibe that I expect if I'm going to pick up something that garnishes Stuart's fine name! I am biased, and you may want to take that into consideration, but I just wouldn't spend my money on the Korean Spectors.

There are many basses out there that are better for the money. I'd go for the MTD. It's budget-minded, but well constructed and has a couple of decent tones lurking under its hood.

Just my opinion; and, to borrow a phrase from Brad Johnson, as always, I could be wrong;)