1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, Oct 27, 2000.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Alright, checked some things out, looked in my wallet, and narrowed my 5 string choice down to either a Fender Jazz V or a Carvin LB-75. Likes/dislikes on either? Also, how's the tone on both of these? Floppy B or not? Any other info you could give me would be nice, since the nearest music store that carries the Jazz is an hour and a half away, and as for the Carvin, they are factory direct and I have no idea how im gonna try one! Thanks all

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The B string on the Carvin is better, but the tone on the Fender is better. IMHO, of course.

3. I'm not familiar with the Fender 5 but I owned an LB75 at one point. I think they have great tone and playability, especially for the price. One thing you might want to consider, though, is it has a pretty narrow string spacing and isn't the easiest 5 string to slap with. If you do slap you may want to consider the Bunny Brunel Carvin 5 as it has the wider spacing. I think you can also get the LB75 with wider spacing but I'm not sure.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    iplaybass: Get the Carvin and upgrade the pickups to something cool :) To like Seymour Dauncan, EMG, Piezo, whatever you want -=) I think that would be better off from the responses above.. Carvin has a better B string.. so get a upgrade on the pickups and then rip on the bass!!! hehe :)

DM