Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, Oct 27, 2000.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Alright, checked some things out, looked in my wallet, and narrowed my 5 string choice down to either a Fender Jazz V or a Carvin LB-75. Likes/dislikes on either? Also, how's the tone on both of these? Floppy B or not? Any other info you could give me would be nice, since the nearest music store that carries the Jazz is an hour and a half away, and as for the Carvin, they are factory direct and I have no idea how im gonna try one! Thanks all
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The B string on the Carvin is better, but the tone on the Fender is better. IMHO, of course.
  3. I'm not familiar with the Fender 5 but I owned an LB75 at one point. I think they have great tone and playability, especially for the price. One thing you might want to consider, though, is it has a pretty narrow string spacing and isn't the easiest 5 string to slap with. If you do slap you may want to consider the Bunny Brunel Carvin 5 as it has the wider spacing. I think you can also get the LB75 with wider spacing but I'm not sure.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    iplaybass: Get the Carvin and upgrade the pickups to something cool :) To like Seymour Dauncan, EMG, Piezo, whatever you want -=) I think that would be better off from the responses above.. Carvin has a better B string.. so get a upgrade on the pickups and then rip on the bass!!! hehe :)