1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decisions decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChemE268, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ChemE268

ChemE268

Feb 26, 2013
    This is my first post so bear with me here. I play at our church and currently have a fender rumble 350 combo. It's a decent amp but not the tone I have in mind. I'm lookin to upgrade most Likely all tube if I can. Not a for sure deal.

A bit of info I am the sound guy also so that helps. We just got new subs (4 jbl 15s) so for regular service I run a di and use the acoustic b-100 on stage as a monitor the hot spot wont cute it and it gets the job done but I'd like to have an amp I can use when we play gigs or outside shows but can still be used as a quite monitor, that gives me the tone I hear in my head. We play all kinds of music so I need something that can do it all. I like a deep bass sound that will really growl when I dig in but isn't to boomy (hollow stage).

Its going to be a little while till I can buy but I'm starting my research early, I've been reading up and have a couple ideas.

Heads:
    -egnater tweaker 40 ( guitar head I know but it's low wattage all tube and I've seen other tb people use it)
    -Orange terror 500
    -Genz Benz streamliner
    Any other options I'd like to keep it under $1000

Cabs:
    Aguilar 212
    All would be 8 ohm if possible to allow for expansion.
    Sorry for the long thread thanks for the input and experience in advance.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Take a look at the Mesa Walkabout. Very versatile. Tube pre. Gets along with every single cab I have ever played it through (dozens of them). Great DI. I can't say enough good things about that little powerhouse. They can be found used for well under your budget.

3. G-K has all tube preamp hybrids: Fusion 550, MB Fusion and soon the MB Fusion 800. You could also keep an eye out for a used all tube Ampeg V4, V4-B or VT-22 (all tube 100 watt) or SVT, SVT non pro or B15. Avatar 15/6 or TB153 with any of the above.

4. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    Aguilar TH500 into a GS212

This will give you deep bass with the growl you want, even some grit if you ever need it.

Light, loud and built to last.

.B

5. tedw

tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I don't think I can help, but I'll comment anyway :)

We have some big subs at our church as well (6 18"s in our chase. I used to used an on stage monitor rig but let it go to cut the stage volume and give the sound guys more control over the mix in the room. Now, I've completely adjusted to in-ear monitors or headphones.

I'm hard pressed to see why much of an amp is needed on stage, at least in our space.

All that having been said, I guess I'm not answering your question at all, but I hope it's of some use.

6. ChemE268

ChemE268

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll look into them ive heard good things about the walkabout the only down side to Mesa is the nearest dealer is over an hour away. There isn't much of a used market here either but I'll keep my eye out.

There was talk of getting an Aviom system but it cost to much for our church. The only monitor I can use is a galaxy hotspot to hear me and the drums. It's pretty small seats maybe 300, long skinny brick wall bad for sound overall.

I guess in general I'd like to replace the 350 but get something that can be both a monitor and be a full fledged rig when we play with no FOH. I'm not opposed to having 2 heads in the future one tube and one hybrid. If any one has experience with the egnater or a small tube head that's less then a grand I'd like to hear it
    Thanks!

7. Cabinet Wise: An 8 ohm Avatar 212 NEO. You could add an Avatar 8 ohm 410 NEO down the road. Despite what people on this forum say about mixing cabs with different driver sizes that was one of the best sounding rigs I ever had. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of the 212. Still have the 410.

8. ChemE268

ChemE268

Feb 26, 2013
    I hear good things about avatar cabs and their alot more affordable that the others I've looked at. its a toss up I had originally looked at the 212 but the 15/6 seems very nice as well. I don't need major volume we lost our heavy handed drummer and now have electronic drums. I just dont want to be out of luck when we have non church gigs. This is my first stab at a head cabinet rig.

9. tedw

tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Makes sense. I hated the Aviom system at first, but now have grown accustomed to it. It's a nice luxury, but I totally get why you need an onstage unit if you don't have an Aviom-like system.

There are so many choices out there for amplification. I've taken to using a Shuttle with an Epifani UL-110 and UL-112 but even that's too much for what I do. But do think this rig is light and portable and packs a punch. I've also used it with a Tonerhammer 500, and a Clarus / Sansamp set up and it all sounds really good. I'd love to try one of those Jules Monique pre-amps. I don't think I'm being much help... sorry.

10. ChemE268

ChemE268

Feb 26, 2013
    Well I'm Back from the far corners of tb and YouTube doing alot of research I think I've got it narrowed down to the mpulse 600 and the terror bass 500. I'm not sure on the price of the mpulse but I'd love to hear from anyone who's got one. I like the fact that it's rack mountable and has alot more options in the eq section. The terror bass is the only one I have had a chance to play often so I have a feel for it.
    Right now I'm using an American special pbass with chromes if that helps any. I like a mid range heavy sound with just the slightest bit of hair when I dig in.
    Thanks for all the help guys!

11. snowtraveler65

snowtraveler65

Feb 8, 2011
    The Mesa Mpulse 600 is no longer in production. The eq section on it tempts you to get carried away with adjustments and end up with a pretty nasty result. You shouldn't need to tweak your tone that much. Simple is better I.M.E. If you want mid forward, Aguilar is always a good bet. The Schroeder 212PL is fantastic and lightweight. Very mid forward. Jorge Schroeder likes to power his with a Streamliner 900.