Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Yes, the tone it gives me, and its long term usability are more important than it intruding in the l

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No, the living room should remain free of musical equipment... This aint no studio!!!

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Other suggestions...

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

A while back I posted about wanting a small good sounding combo amp for my wifey.

However, looking around I have found that the combos that I have liked have cost enough that I could get a medium sized amp with more power for the same or at times less cost. This is causing me a delima because I do like to think in terms of what will serve me (or in this case, my wife) best in the long run.

But anyways, forgetting about the actual brands and models, my new question is do you accept a medium sized combo amp (40 to 60 lbs) amp to be left in the living room, even if it's somewhat intrusive, if it is likely to serve your future needs better?

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, call me crazy, but it is a 'living' room. I.E. meant to be lived in. Get the one that sounds good... you won't regret it.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I know, this is the same problem that's bugging the crap outta me... My wife won't have it, the "Living Room" is where you invite guests for coffee. The "Family Room" is where the living is done.

I'm kinda leaning towards an SWR WM10 at this point,, but I'm also eye-balling a Tech21NYC, Landmark 60... It's a small'ish 60 watt combo amp, that has the SansAmp RBI built into it...

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    My combo is in the living room. But, then again, so is my wife's guitar, the TV, the dining table, the computer, most of our books and pretty much everything else we own that doesn't specifically belong in the kitchen. :)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in terms of combos, i always advocate going modular - get a head and cabinet, upgrade one later and still be able to use the other gear
    i started with a used swr 410 goliath and a used swr electric blue 120 watt head
    for a time i used a peavy 400 watt used power amp and used the eb as a preamp
    later i got an eden wt400 and still used the swr 410 - then i got an eden 210xlt and a bagend 15
    when i used all 3 cabs i just brought both of the heads (which are tiny)
    in the quest for more power i got a used alembic pre and a good deal on a stewart 2.1 power amp - that setup can power up to 8 8 ohm cabs well
    shortly thereafter i sold and traded the 410 and 210 and got a bagend 112 and an aguilar 112
    depending on the situation i can bring a really compact small head with one or two cabs - and i can bring out all three cabs with the alembic/stewaret amp (i plan to get some more small cabs in the future)
    the moral of thaty story is that i never had to scrap what i was usung at any time, just introduce new peices that would fit and enhace what i already had - if i had combos i would have had to start all over which i dont think is smart

ohbty, i have the eden and aguilar out of the way in the living room, the swr is used as a headphone out only practice amo in my bedroom, and the alembic/stewart/bagend rig is at my guitar player's full studio where we record and practice and load up for gigs

a lesson i learned from many local jazz mucisions is that they leave their sax, bass, practice pad, whatever, in full veiw when they walk in the house, which forces them to spend time practicing every day

6. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>Yeah, I find that useful too :D

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea its acceptable. My 100 watt combo used to be there before i moved it to my room.

8. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Since we have a piano in the living room, we call it the "music" room. Once we established that, I moved all my gear there.:p

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think you have to take into consideration is the living room "pretty" or "practical" if its pretty get a small combo that can hide behind a couch or table. if its practical put a moderate sized combo or modular rig. You shouldn't need a 410 and a 115 with your 600w head unless thats all you got! :D

my votes would be eden tt10, swr baby blue ii,

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    C'mon what "Living Room" doesn't have a set of Hi-Fi speakers in there. An increasing number of them even have subs and 5.1 surround sound speakers everywhere. What's the harm in one more.

That said, whenever you're talking about interior decorating or buying a pram, the woman of the house often gets the final say......

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Gabu,

Ultimately, you're gonna need to ask your spouse what she'll accept, & that's gonna wind up being your limitation. Unless you're sort that'll just do whatever you want, & say to hell with her. But, any decent husband knows, if that's how it goes,,, you guys won't last too long. Personally, I'm keeping my stuff in the basement, next to my home theater!!

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Let her pick out something nice looking to throw over it and let it double as a side table.

K

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for all your replies!

We ended up replacing the Frontman 15b that she was using with a B100-R.

Its not small. But it has good tone. The stores around me all seemed to be out of the B50-R, which was our first choice.

Anyways, we are happy. :D