Decisions - Fender BXR 300c or Ampeg BA115HP or BA210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bbbodie, May 12, 2004.

1. Bbbodie

May 12, 2004
    I have within 10 miles of me 2 different dealers that have new/used once at a Jazz Festival amps.

The three mentioned above are all going for about $400(negotiable), $529 and $549 respectively. :D

The Ampeg's have all been used for one day by pros at a local jazz festival and are in pristine condition with full factory warranty; the Fender was a Pawn shop drop off and it's immaculate and plays cleanly (no snaps, pops or whistles when cranked up).

Any advice would be appreciated as I've played Keyboards and Guitar for years, but this is my first Bass Amp. Oh yea, I play a Fender Custom Jazz Bass and have been playing about a year. :bassist:

2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Ampeg 15, but that's only because I've got one and it's A++.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bbbodie,

I've only had experience with the BA115 and the BA210. Mostly the BA210 as I actually owned this piece for about 4 weeks and the BA115 I tried at a store. The BA210 had a great tone. Sucks that you can only use one digital effect at a time (the one with FX) but the SVT setting was quite awesome. The only reason I returned it was that it wasn't quite loud enough for me. But I play in a loud band. What type of music you doing? Need it loud? If you are playing rock, the volume might be of concern to you. I'm guessing the same thing with the BA115. But speaking purely from tone, the BA210 had a great sound to it. A bit expensive, but nice, warm, Ampeg tone. Just my opinion...

4. Bbbodie

May 12, 2004
    Thanks guys~

I play Classic Rock and Jazz Fusion (Clapton, Stones as well as Jeff Beck, Jan Hammer, etc.) so it can get loud, but tone is of importance so I augment with a Korg Pandora PX4B for my tone and pump it through my PA which is 2 400 Watt Towers running 4x10 and a horn it's pretty middy and high...I'll welcome the low end :cool:

I'm thinking either the BA210 for the punch or the BXR (just for the 300 watts). I'm also told the 115HP has the tweeter in it so I can get nice and lo with great highs...So here I am, trying to figure it out.

I'm told if I get an 8 ohm cab and plug it into the back of the BXR it'll run it's full 300 watts and then I'll have the volume.

As it ships, it's a 1x15 and only running about 200W. I'm looking for a decent 2x10 or so cab to go with it in a year or so after I get over the hernia this one will cause :D if I go that way...