Decisions... why can't someone just decide for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Epifani T-410

1 vote(s)
  2. Epifani 410UL

4 vote(s)
  3. Aguilar GS410

3 vote(s)
  4. DON'T DO IT!!! Stash all your money away and don't spend another cent on any gear!

4 vote(s)
  1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I have been saving like a demon lately (however demons save.. not sure about that one) for a new speaker cabinet, and a few days ago I was pleasantly suprised when I noticed I have enough money for a new kickass speaker cabinet. I've been wanting an Epifani 410 of some sort for ages, and having tried one out, I would be very stoked to have one in my posession. I was tossing up between the 2 versions (the ultralight and the NYC) due to the heavy version being cheaper and the the ultralight version being just that, light. Would anyone have any experince with the 2 different versions? Do they sound very different?

See, the thing is, now I have all that cash laying about, I don't wanna spend it!!! But then, I do need a new speaker cabinet, having recently blown the only 15 inch speaker I own. I was thinking of checking out an Aguilar 410, but I was also wondering, if I like the Epifani a lot, will I like the Aguilar as much do you think? Do they have a similar sound? Anyway, I just thought I would see what you all think...
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I've been able to try all ther cabs in question (including the aggie s-series) at G Guitars in new haven ct. I was able to try them loud including using a aggie 750 at times.
    First, aguilar cabinets are excellent. That said, i liked the epifani's even better. The difference between the UL's and the NYCs are subtle. There have been a few threads on this and Jokerjkny is probably your best source for info on that topic. The UL has a bit more mids, but a tiny bit of EQ can make either cab sound like the other one. I don't think 99% of people could fire up one or the other and be able to tell you which one it was.
    Pick up the UL. Trust me, once you pick up both cabs the extra money spent on the UL will be well worth it. Chiropractor visits cost a lot more than a couple of C-notes. :p
    FWIW, try out the 310 UL as well. It really does blow away most other 410s, and the size and weight are unreal. If I decided to pick one up it would be the 310.
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    After having both the nyc and ul epifani 410 for a bit, I went the ul. I found that both cabs sound a bit different than most people say they did but as mentioned above, with an eq adjustment you can get them to sound about the same. To me, and Vanselus put it just right (thanks Van!), the nyc has more weight in the tone. When it hits you about 10' out its a bit heavier but the tone is the same. In my experience, that means in a muddy room it doesnt cut quite as well as the ul does. (others may not agree). I can still dial in some low end into the ul and get some low end meat and Im happy. I do like the ul tone a bit better than the nyc but even that aside, the extra money is worth the weight loss.

Ive tried the aguilar 410 and it sounded better than expected with aguilar amps and pre's. For that matter with EA amps as well, but I didnt like the tone when I tried the ag 410 with eden, trace or ampeg. The epi 410 did better with a wider selection of amps.

All three 410s are nice cabs but you need to think about the tone of your bass and amp and think about how your going to use them, what kind of music.