Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jerry oram, Jan 29, 2001.

1. jerry oram

jerry oram

Jan 23, 2001
    fender deluxe jazz ,rosewood or maple neck,active or non active. cant decide nobody has one nor does the local shops for me to try..also have an older aria pro2 any known successfull upgrades
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Hello Jerry and welcome to the board and all that social stuff!

Maple v Rosewood,subjectively get the one you like the feel of, if your Aria is rosewood get that. Objectively, maple is more expensive to refret because of the laquer.

Active v Passive-passive sounds retro active is more modern for the lack of any other description.

Deluxe-I thought this spec was active only.

If it were me-I would take a road trip to a shop that I had phoned to check stock and prices. A bass is a serious investment to get wrong (I know).

PS Essex and the other one re your basses thread; never heard of em sorry.
  3. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi jerry

Welcome aboard. I just got a MIA Deluxe with maple neck, ash body, and the active electronics. Also comes with the new Noiseless pickups. This was after much deliberation and I am very satisfied with it, I like to think of it as a poor man's Sadowsky. (or as SWR would put it, Workingman's). Something I found is that the active electronics really come into their own through a nice solid state amp, and passive seems to go better with a big tube amp. So it's too bad you can't try one with whatever amp you have/plan on getting. I've always liked maple necks over rosewood for a brighter sound, my philosophy being that it's easier to roll it off than to artificially boost it. If you go to the Fender site, they have sound clips that you might fine useful for hearing the differences.
  4. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi jerry

Just a couple other things. The neck on the Am Dlx Jazz is thicker than on most of the other current Jazz models. Same 1.5 inches wide at the nut but a thicker, vintage front to back measurement. The body is also smaller with slightly different proportions. The neck is 22 frets rather than the standard 20. Mine feels relatively light for a Fender bass. Routed under the pickguard with lots of trademark polishing compound. Noiseless double pole pickups in the 2000 and up models. Jack on the side. I'll never sell it.
  5. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I'm yakking away about the Am Dlx Jazz but maybe you aren't even considering it? The Fender Deluxe Jazz is made in Japan with different neck (no graphite), different inlays , body, pickups, tuners, woods, bridges, cases and finishes. They're all maple necks but I believe they only come with rosewood boards.

oops, the neck is .375" narrower at the nut than the Japanese Deluxe. 1.5" to 1.875".

It's a little confusing with the models, but if you study the Fender site it clears up.
  6. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    oops again. The Jazz Deluxe is made in Mexico. Printable spec sheets and price lists available on the Fender site.