1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decison, Decisions - Another Fender Jazz Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Jan 14, 2012.

1. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm mulling over my options here for a vintage 60's sounding Fender jazz. Ideally a real '64 or 64 Custom shop would be nice but I'm wondering if I really need to spend that much. The sound clips I have heard of the '64 CS are what I am looking for. I realize the fit and finish on the CS will be great but I'm wondering if there are other Fenders that will get me there. Here are some options as I see it:

-refin 60's jazz - hard to find and try one; a bit too much $$$ right now
    - 1964 CS NOS or relic - $2700+ - not many used ones around (might have a line on one)
    - Road Worn Jazz (sunburst!) - heard good things; none around here
    - MIA Std - could always change the pickups?
    -MIM 60s - must be some compromise here?
    - 50th Anniversary - one new one in town; am I paying for the one year only model?
    - others?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thanks!

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    If you are looking for a player seriously consider a Roadworn. The ones I've played have been light, resonant, and they have sounded great. You won't get a better player out of any of the others you mentioned.

3. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Good news. I found a RW sunburst in town and the shop will actually let me take it home and try it. They also have a custom shop 64 as well. Its a mom and pop store (well maybe just pop) that is jam packed with mid and higher end guitars mostly. They seem to have a bunch more in a warehouse too. I think this will be bass #5 from this store (mostly used ones).