Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

decoupage? how to....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Mar 10, 2006.

1. I have a small photograph I woud like to place on my bass guitar's body. does anyone know how to keep it permanently on it without distorting the image / harming it?
    how do I do decoupage?

thanks ya'll

2. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    If you are doing a clear topcoat, it easy. Pick up some clear (printable) velum from an office supply. Print your image like an iron-on so that it is flipped when looking at it and cut it out.

Shoot the first coat of clear and when it starts to get tacky, lay on the image printed side down. Your image should show through the way you wanted it now. Now finish up the clearcoat.

Series10_4.JPG

3. thanks.
    but i have an actual photograph already printed out. can i put down the clear coat, put the picture on top of it, and then some more clear coat on top of it?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The amount of clearcoat to make this smooth is astounding.

5. I did a bass decoupage style and it was a ginat PITA! You could instead... 1) scan the picture 2) print it on a good quality printable sticker on a good quality printer 3) apply to bass and voila!

6. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    Most photo paper that I've seen is pretty thick. That's the reason I liked the clear velum, it's thin. Almost like a plastic model decal.

7. The photo needs to be scanned and then reprinted on something else. I've done photo-graphics under clear coats before and it can be daunting to get right. Previously I used clear water slide decals but now I use clear mailing label stock for inkjets. It's pressure sensitive and is much easier to apply and get right. It's not as thin as the decal stock but it's way thinner than anything else.

8. thanks. printer and sticker idea for now works...