Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dedicated Brice Owners' Post Only Info Thread?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Nov 3, 2004.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey everyone,

If the Mods will allow, I suggest we dedicate this thread to posts only from Brice owners who want to share feedback, stories, setup info, modifications, etc. No Q&A about the bass from non-owners-- just an informational post about all things Brice from experienced Brice owners.

As we all know there has been a lot of discussion here on TB about Brices. As a result, it is becomming increasingly difficult to find specific information on Brice Basses (reviews, setups, specs, etc.) unless you have nothing but free time and a lot of patience to sift through the thousands of pages of banter. A thread such as I have suggested will help to streamline and isolate important information about these basses.

So if everyone is game, I would be curious to see other owners experiences regarding:

1) Electronics - Best way to dial tones given the confusing electronics scheme

2) Set up - What strings and guages are everyone using? How do you have the action and truss rods?

3) Modifications - Share what you've done

4) Emperical Reviews - What are you using the bass for and how does it sound?

5) Any other topics regading the Brice Basses.

I'll get back to this post with my feedback on my V2 fretless 6. I just played out with it for the first time since buying it in February and have lots of observations and questions for other owners who might have some useful tips.

Rock n roll... :bassist:

2. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Okay. So I brought my fretless 6 V2 to a rehearsal Monday night. This was the first time I plugged the bass into any amp other than my headphone amp. The amp I was using was trash-- sounded like a tin can with digital phase/reverb. I think I was able to isolate what sounds were from the bass and amp. In doing so, I ran into the following challenges re: electronics and gettign sounds from the bass:

1) The tone control was not very effective. While I could hear some difference in the overall "roundness" of the tone, I was better able to shape the quality of tone through pickup volume and blend

2) It was difficult to ascertain the best way to balance neck and bridge pickups. I have read other posts where users keep the PU blend at the center (in the detent) and use the volume and tone only as with a J bass. When I tried this, I found the tone to be different than when I left the volume controls even and worked the blend. I would be curious to know what other people do with the stock electronics.

3) I would also be curious to know what kind of mods people have done to the bass, primarily with the electronics, and how it has effected the overall tone and feel of the bass.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I also want to pick up one of there 6 String Fretless basses in the near future. But I plan on upgrading the Pup's and The Pre-amp. Other than that the basses "Feel" fine so I would not mind modding it a bit...

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

1) Electronics - Best way to dial tones given the confusing electronics scheme
    [My bass is passive and I just open everything to 10 and eq through my amp]

2) Set up - What strings and gauges are everyone using? How do you have the action and truss rods?
    [I have Fender medium-light gauge strings on mine. Action could be lower but it's playable. I have not adjusted the truss rod as yet.]

3) Modifications - Share what you've done
    [No mods as yet. I plan to upgrade the pups and possibly put a Warmoth neck on her but the pups will be done. Not sure what brand as yet]

4) Emperical Reviews - What are you using the bass for and how does it sound?
    [I play in a Top40/Variety band playing everything under the sun. For a cheap bass, it sounds pretty damn good and I get compliments all the time. I own better basses but this one is my main bass at the moment. I want a Roscoe Beck 5 bad!!]

5) Any other topics regarding the Brice Basses.
    [I'd like to see the company step it up a notch. Add more pro features, better pups (and pres on the active basses), use name brand bridges and tuners, upgrade to a pro logo. Maybe add some hand made details]

Just my thoughts and opinions. I'd pay a little more for a better instrument. Oh, by the way, the bass I own is the Brice Douglas 5, The Marcus Miller Bass, well at least that's what I call it. Natural 5 string jazz, maple neck with black block inlays.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was told that i couldn't get 3/4" string spacing at the bridge - i did - i tried with another bridge

this was on my brice 5 string ash jazz

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think you have the same one I have. *Edit: No yours is painted. You don't have a problem with the strings sliding off the neck using that bridge?

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yes, mine is the painted one (thank you, people kept telling me it wasn't paint!)

they are close to the edge, but i don't have any problems

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have the ash bodied 5 string J copy. Came set up with a low action, no dead spots, or high frets. The only thing I have done is added Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. The pole pieces aren't a good match for the B string. Will probably switch them soon.

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Anyone out there with the active V2's? I am curious to know about set-ups and mods on them. I am thinking mod cause the electronics are so goofy.

10. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have an active V2 fretless. I haven't done any mods, but I'd like to change the controls as well. The 2 vol knobs, blend, and passive tone work fine for me, but I would like to change some things.

First of all, the 2 volume knobs seem redundant to me. I'd rather have a single master volume and the blend pot.

Also, the volume knobs are counter-intuitive: the control for the bridge pickup is the one closest to the neck, and the neck pickup volume knob is closest to the bridge.

I'm thinking of rewiring it to master volume, blend, and passive tone, and then the extra knob could be a dummy knob.

Overall, though, I really like my Brive V2. It sounds great, and I get a wide range of tones from it. Plus, it's super easy to play.

11. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of replacing the PU's and puttingin something higher end with a volume, blend Treble, Bass configuration. Not sure if thisw would be possible so I'll look into it as I have the time. I remember reading somewhere here on TB that the PU's on the V2 are odd siezed so replacing them would require some routing. Eeek...