dedicated rack mountable synth unit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Feb 3, 2002.

1. I am looking for one, I want something that I can slap with and play chords with. and preferably midi controlled but that isnt a big a deal as the others. I have searched the web, the archives, sorry mods if i am breaking the rules. thanks though, nate
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i bet jt can help you out...he's got gobs of that kind of gear, if i understand what you are talking about
  3. Hey, no problems here...
  4. John Turner is the person to ask about this stuff. He uses lots of synth sounds.

I do know that you need special pickups (mucho expensive) to be able to play chords and stuff. For single note tracking, I've been very pleased with the Boss VF-1, which is a half rack mount processor.
  5. i mean something like the EH Micro Bass Synthesizer. something along that lines but that is rack mountable. nothing that requires a midi pickup or anything. Thanks, Nate
  6. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The Line 6 filter modeler comes in a rack vesion, and it has synth sounds in addition to its filters.
  7. Yup. You want the Filter Pro. Too bad it's digital. Why don't you just mount the EH bass micro synth into a rack. That would be cool...

8. The Peavey Spectrum analog Filter gets many synthesiser sounds. You can get all sorts of attack delays...subharmonic boosts...rippely filtered weirdness....I know of one cheap.

9. yo madsub, its nate_sta, i am actually looking into ways to convert an eh synth into rackmount. I have been unsucessful so far. I have been toying with the idea of doing it myself(along with the help of a freind who is a welder) if anyone has any ideas who could convert it let me know, I dont like the line 6 though, I played the stomp box and i wasnt diggin the monophonic digital. thanks though, later, nate
  10. Funnily enough the FM-4 didn't do it for me either. I am a serious filter junkie and I thought it was going to be a Godsend. Modeling is is _still_ creepy IMO. I use my AC powered Mutron III, Mutron III+, DOD Fx25 (for serious dub), My Prunes +Custard, EBS octaver and Bass IQ. I get every synth tone I need with that set up. Don't need no stinkin' 1's and 0's.
  11. If you want to hear some of these filters in action check out this link tonight, Thursday feb.21st at 6 PM PST. Our Dub trio Pacific Frontal System will be on air and I will use my DBX subharmonic synth, Prunes+Custard, Korg G5 bass synth, DOD FX25 and Mutron III.
  12. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Mad Sub, how do you have your effects chain set up? (Hope I'm not asking you to reveal a trade secret or anything here! ;) )

Right now, I'm using the following:

bass > EBS Octabass > Prunes+Custard > Q-Tron > amplifier

I've gotten some incredible sounds out of this setup, but I'm not sure if I'm getting all I can out of it ... I also have a compressor I could throw into the mix, and sometimes I use a volume pedal after the Q-Tron to even out its excessive volume.
  13. Cool setup...I LOVE my Prunes and Custard. I try to avoid compression when ever possible, although I do compress my highs a bit on my Mesa M2000. I usually like to stick any fuzz/od after the EV filter for a more natural tone but was experimenting with fuzz B4 my new BassIQ with the attack set v e r y slow. I got a very nifty square wave EV sound with attack new fav sound; very synthy. My current setup is as follows;
    Dolphin5> Korg G5 bass synth> Mutron III+(set for HP only)> AC Mutron III> DOD FX25(set for dub tone)> P+C> Akai Headrush. I use the HP 'Tron for playing over top the bass lines I loop..too much bass is just a mudfest. My new pedal board that I am working up the patience to solder up has a MMFX CPR looper with the Korg in one loop, EBS Oct>Mutron III+>Mutron III>DOD>P+C,Chunk fuzz>EBS Bass IQ in the second loop and a Phase 90 in the last loop. All of this feeds into the Akai, then out to my rig. I use a DBX 120XP in the loop of my amp along with a BBE. I like to use fuzz to soften out my dynamics rather than a compressor. You can get a great sub-boost by cranking your fuzz/OD then playing very lightly. I know this seems over the top, but I use it all....really!