1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dedication? Your wife is in labor and you’re on stage.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jborg, Jan 13, 2019 at 1:25 PM.

1. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    This actually happened in my band..twice. First time, the guitarist says at the beginning of a set that he just got the call that his wife might be going to the hospital soon. He finished the set and got to the hospital a bit “late”. His wife and in-laws were not pleased. Second time, I get the call mid-song. I make my apologies and split...to many applause & congratulations..(false alarm)

I guess I’m not as dedicated to my art ?

2. Hate to break it you but you're just the bass player. They wouldn't even notice you're gone anyway.

3. Since you had a few months notice that you were in the "danger zone" I would have arranged for a standby - HOWEVER - I do not subscribe to this theory that nothing should get in the way of a bar gig.

So, do you have a baby yet? No pics or it didn't happen!

Congratulations!

4. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks! But that was 4 kids ago, and the whole band is long gone. Today I was having breakfast w/ the same guitarist reminiscing & it got me thinking about those days and my frequent (and ongoing) band/family conflicts.

5. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Lol. How many kids you planning to have? I was there for both my daughters births. I’d quit a band to do that again. ... gigs are easier than kids

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Why not let the father handle it next time...mailman, FedEx guy, etc?

Riis

7. LOL! So rude.......so funny!

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    This tune comes to mind.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Shouldn't be so hard to track the likely culprit: check the feedback profile / stats, isolate the purchases 36-40 weeks back and assume a "signature required" delivery.

Riis

deste and Renaissance like this.
  10. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    ....that would explain a few things
    ;(

Kidding, of course..

QweziRider and Nunovsky like this.
  11. There must be some word today
    From my boyfriend so far away
    Please Mister Postman, look and see
    Is there a letter, a letter for me

Sorry Jborg.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  12. Hey, its usually several hours* after her water breaks before baby is born (sorry guys, my wife is a OB/GYN nurse) Finish the set then go !
    (* this time can vary from 30 minutes to 24 hours!)

BASS HUMOR HERE!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    lildrgn and neal davis like this.
  13. The birth or the gig?

14. We'll remind you of that when it comes time to teach 'em how to drive. :smug:

LowActionHero and mikewalker like this.
  15. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Wow lady's and gents now that's what you call a low blow!! it must be a pissed off guitar player or drummers comment ! anyway, first of all let me flat out say I disagree 1000% with this BS comment as Bass player missing will most defenetly be noticed !
    But that's besides the point! More importantly your kid is coming in to this world! I'm sure the audience will understand ! in fact you'll probably even get a standing ovation !
    gigs come and go, birth of a kid only happens once !

Garret Graves likes this.
  16. Sigh. It's not funny if you have to explain it... Oh, the irony.

17. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I received a call from a friend to sub for him mid-gig so that he could bring his wife to the hospital. I am glad that I was available ! If I would have received that call, and could not get a sub - the band would have to go on without me that night. Family is far more important than a gig !

J_Bass and Nunovsky like this.
  18. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    A sub might not work in a band doing all originals..the guys ended up finishing the gig w/o a bass player.

And kids are WAY tougher than bands....sometimes I feel like I’m living with 4 teenage singer/songwriters.

19. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Their both near 30 so they’ve been driving for a while.

jamro217 likes this.
  20. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Yeah the irony it's not meant to be funny. lol.