1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dee dee ramone is great

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by soundgardenis, Oct 8, 2010.

1. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    Rick Rosas the guy who plays with Neil Young told me less is more with bass and I agree. Dee Dees style is solid tight and rhythmic. I think he's fantastic man. I love his voice. He was a junkie long before it was a fad with all the grunge guys. He was the real deal.

2. ADobbins1234

ADobbins1234

Oct 5, 2010
    California
    Wow. Being a "junkie" is never a fad and you're the one who is saying it like it's something to be proud of. But ya he is a great bass player.

bobyoung53 and descendent22 like this.
  3. *was*
    Dee Dee was great

Edit: Oh- wait, junkie=cool? FY. Really.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    dee dee: not great, but very tight and great fun to watch...saw the ramones once.

heroin: not great at all.

5. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars

+1

6. I still love the Ramones at times... 1 2 3 4!

Then again, I skip them a lot on Pandora these days too. Just grew out of that sound, I guess, but yeah... They're all rad for what they did when they did it for sure.

J_Bass likes this.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Ramones are the only band I still hero-worship, that I worshipped when I was a kid. It's one of the "great mysteries of life" that they might not have done what they did musically if they hadn't had all their rotten flaws. Being a junkie is shameful and uncool to an extreme, but think about all the other "great artists" who were drunks, wife-beaters, cokeheads, cheaters, and otherwise self-centered and self-destructive bastards--yet they produced art that we admire long after their death.

ppiluk and REMBO like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    devo were never junkies, although bob 1 mothersbaugh and jerry casale have had their share of problems with coke, especially bob 1. and devo is as cool as it gets. so do coke instead.

just kidding...don't do coke...it's truly evil.

Rich Fiscus and tindrum like this.
  9. Coke is less evil than heroin though... I've had friends die from heroin, but not from coke... yet. I'm still just 34. :(

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i've had a couple friends die from it. usually it's a heart attack, although one guy i sort of knew was a coke dealer who got shot and killed along with his 11 year old son. that was a sad story...rusty day, former singer of cactus and the amboy dukes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Day

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    Okay first I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I don't think heroin is cool. I never said that. In the 90's among those "grunge" bands it was a fad to take heroin. I've heard people say that if you didn't take it you weren't cool during that era. I'm only 20 I was like 3 years old so I don't know. I'm just going by what I heard.

Dee Dee Ramone is great because he was an average bass player. He locked in with the drums and created a solid foundation which I think all bass players should do. I also really dug his lyrics because I can relate to some of them.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I cannot create intricate basslines. No matter how hard I try to be normal I'm still kind of a goofball. I fall off my bike and rip my clothes up, burn cigeratte holes in my shirts, get bad acne. I'm kind of a burn out. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even capable of carrying a punk rock tune on the bass guitar. Sometimes I have my days. But I just like the energy and what it stands for. Its nice knowing that theres a group of people who aren't technical geniuses with their instruments or their songwriting abilities and they embrace that. Not only that but they kept rock n roll alive during a dark era.

Now six years down the road maybe I won't give a crap about punk rock. Maybe I'll go to school to be a horse trainer. I don't know. I just ridin this thing out.

:atoz:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well you don't have to be a great musician to make great music. but heroin has never been an essential part of the equation. in fact, it's caused a lot of formerly great musicians to suck.

hey, i can't tell you how to live your life. but nothing glamorous or cool about od'ing or shooting yourself in the head or stabbing yourself with a butcher knife because you can't shake it.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    Yep this is true. I always have to explain myself very carefully on forums. Uh anyway I thought this was a Dee Dee Ramone thread.

14. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    I've seen the needle and the damage done
    A little part of it in everyone
    But every junkies like a setting sun.

bobyoung53 and MCF like this.
  15. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Getting off the drugs..... I love Dee Dee's P bass tone. What did he use for amps?

JMacBass65 likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    svt's and 810's...usually a couple.

JMacBass65, GregC and bobyoung53 like this.

17. Me, I'm stickin with Pepsi.

18. If it weren't for the Ramones, I might not have survived 1977-1981. They are an essential ingredient in my "road" mix on my iPod. They are one band that *always* pleases me. Way fun factor! they understood that R&R needs to be fun. Too loud, though. And what was up with the Nazi armbands?

Dee Dee Rocked!

19. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Lol.

20. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wow, is that heroin or just Dee Dee? :rolleyes:

Sorry to say, I've never liked the Ramones, even though many of my friends loved them. Some of the songs are kind of funny, and I liked the documentary, but the music just didn't do it for me, just sounded like loud loose 50's rock.

I know they were real punks as far as attitude (LOVE the fighting on stage), but the Sex Pistols always sounded more like real punk to me, even though they were more corporate.