dee dee ramone is great

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by soundgardenis, Oct 8, 2010.

1. My aunt was lucky enough to meet Joey and DeeDee back in the day. I've always loved that band.

GregC and REMBO like this.
  2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The Ramones were incredible live. When I saw them it was a 35 song set, with a 10 song encore, and they never stopped.

Heroin? When even Lemmy says a particular drug is a bad idea, then that's probably a strong hint not to do it.

GregC, bobyoung53 and MCF like this.
  3. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This is almost an anthem of sorts...

4. Hey, Dee Dee may have not been the most technically proficient, but try playing that fast for an hour at a time using nothing but arm-action picked downstokes. Dude had some stamina.

GregC, descendent22, J_Bass and 2 others like this.
  5. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    GregC and REMBO like this.
  6. This.

I'm going to have to harness my inner Dee Dee March 19th. My band is throwing a Joey Ramone birthday bash, and we're playing a set of all Ramones covers ,and the bands we're playing with are doing a few covers themselves. It should be a great time.

without heroin.

GregC likes this.
  7. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    As for Dee Dee: Carbona not glue RIP, dude. :bassist:

As for all of us: If you're gonna ride, don't ride the white horse. :rollno:

8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    We played 'in front of' The Ramones once, in '79 I think at a place called "The Left Bank' in Mt. Vernon, NY. You didn't really open for them, as they were kind of a mess :lol: I saw them at least 200 times other than that as well, really loved their music. Dee Dee really loved and lived the music, there was no phoniness or bs posing to him at all. He was good guy, but he had tons of demons and dealt with them the best he could.

He was an outsider, outside of everything.

9. CajunCanuck

CajunCanuck

Oct 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Gabba Gabba Hey......

Only saw them once, and I'll never forget it......made quite an impression on me @ 17......

The latest joy is turning my 11 year old daughter onto them......"I wanna be sedated" is on one of her XBox 360 games.....that's all it took.......I threw Road to Ruin on her Ipod......Voila.....The next Generation is born.....lol.......

RIP Dee Dee......ur sadly missed

GregC likes this.
  10. I ALWAYS loved Dee Dee's playing.

Simple? Certainly...that was the point of it.

But I've never been able to play it EXACTLY like he did. He developed some sort of technique to get that very precise staccato bop-bop-bop-bop bop-bop-bop-bop kind of thing that I just can not seem to master.

(I've only been playing since 1963...maybe I'll get it someday...)

He also wrote about 40% of their songs, even after he stopped touring with the band.

And if you consider his influence on bass playing over the last 40 years, he has very few peers, no matter how complex they can play. Dee Dee got an audience moving, which was what the Ramones was all about. The combination of Dee Dee and Markey Ramone was like a huge engine that drove the whole place. Great player, hard and horrible life.

Mark

GregC likes this.
  11. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    I snorted coke a few times...the bubbles tickled my nose though.

12. Wow. I just don't get it. The dude was offered to join AC/DC after Bon Scott died, and turned it down? What in the hell was he thinkin'? The human mind will NEVER be fully understood. Wow.

MCF likes this.
  13. Great post old Mark.

When I picked up my bass after a number of years off, I used the Ramones as a starting point as I couldn't play anything more complicated. And yes, that really was the point. Turned my young kids into fans at the time too - no kids tunes in the mini van, it was Sheena is a Punk Rocker, etc.

GregC likes this.
  14. There is NOTHING wrong with not being the sharpest tool in the shed; especially if you are a hammer!

Hammers do a lot of jobs that saws, scissors, and scalpels cannot.

15. Personally I think Dee Dee took himself out. He was in the Hall of Fame, and was terrified of getting old...and Joey was dead, and Johnny had cancer.

I think he just wanted to exit at the top.

Just my personal thought.

16. Heroin - put a gun to my head and I still wouldn't do it. I watched a documentary on Ratt (What can I say - I was bored) and their tall Blonde guitarist (Robbin Crosby) was so out of it at a concert in Japan that he was playing a totally different song than the rest of the band. I hate to admit that I found it funny and terribly sad at the same time. He died of Aids from dirty needles not too long after that. One of many sad stories of drugs and Rock 'N' Roll. I saw another thing with WASP's guitarist and alcohol treating his mother like a servant and with utter disrespect. I wanted to reach through the T.V. (movie screen? I can't remember - it was many, many years ago) and punch him in the face. I believe Toto's drummer (Jeff Porcaro) and the singer of Quite Riot (Kevin Dubrow) both died of cocaine overdoses , but I may be wrong...

17. Oops - I didn't mention Dee Dee Ramone in my last post and this is a Dee Dee Ramone thread. There you go (x2). ;)

18. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I was not really a huge Ramones fan but saw them in a pretty small room in CT in the late 70's.

Besides the whole band being REALLY loud, the thing I remember to this day, is that Dee Dee had probably half a roll of duct tape on each end of his strap to keep it on (white P-bass, I think).

He then proceeded to break a string during the set but had a second bass, set-up with the duct tape & all ready to go, which led me to believe that he broke bass strings regularly.

Didn't really miss a beat.

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There are very few REAL punk bands.

The Clash
    The Stooges/Iggy
    The Pistols

and of course, the kings of the genre:

THE RAMONES.

Dee Dee was not only a fantastic bass player FOR THE GENRE, and a great lyricist, (and I do mean a truly INSPIRED lyricist,) but the main thing is,

THAT DUDE COULD COUNT TO FOUR LIKE NO ONE I'VE EVER HEARD!!!!

J_Bass and REMBO like this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

18-Sep-51 was his birthday:

42174145_1085520408284575_6032406250132602880_n.jpg

I disagree about The Clash, but you missed The Damned, the real U.K. Punk band.
    Although, later on they morphed into something else, just like The Clash.

Axstar and SlimS like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021