Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dee Murray's 4001 Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Max, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Kind of sad that Dee Murray's (Elton John's bassist in the old days) widow is selling his stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2510689551&category=4713

I am listening to the basslines in Funeral for a Friend and Love Lies Bleeding off of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and it sounds like a Ric. Not the same one since this one was made in 79. Anybody know whether he recorded the albums mentioned in the Ebay ad with a RIC?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What color is that? I don't think I've seen a yellow one (aside from the Chris Squire model), and that doesn't look like a mapleglo.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    But it's good that the instrument will be used!

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I realize now that his work on Yellow Brick Road was a major influence for me.

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    It looks like a very very very yellowed white which would support its road warrior status.

6. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    you know, i've never really thought about it (because i'm not a huge elton john fan), but this guy (didn't even know his name until i saw this post. i only came to this post because it mentioned rics) is really awesome! "funeral for a friend" is some great playing - that has to be a rick being put to good use.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I agree....appears to be a yellowed white finish.

8. Yeah, that is a white finish, I've got a '74 4001 and my finish has done the same thing. Sad about Dee, I got to meet him once 3 or 4 years before he died.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I listened to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road all weekend. Man, Dee Murray was awesome. Did not appreciate him as a youngster listening to old Elton John albums.