Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deep and Woody bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Mar 7, 2006.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Since I've decided on the bass cabs that I like and with one down and a 1x15 to go, my thoughts have turned towards a new bass as my next major purchase. Im currently playing a MM sterling which I like a whole lot. But a five string would be nice and I think it would be useful to have as well especially in my covers band.

Im thinking of something thats a bit different to what I have with the sterling something with a nice deep woody natural tone in a J bass format. But something with a higher quality than fender has to offer. I was then thinking sadowsky but then I realised $4000 is a lot of money to lay down on an instrument you have never played before. But then I think well its a sadowsky.....
    What other basses do you think would match my criteria

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    if you want woolly tone think gibson, epiphone jack cassidy, lakland hollowbody. A used warwick or pbass would be a great compliment to the sterling.

Or maybe a jazz copy like ESPw/ flats or rick turner electroline with the diamond pickup. Sadowsky IMO is not what you are looking for and is overpriced. Name some players that have the tone you want.

check the basses at basstasters.com

3. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I'd say get a Rick. Then again, that opinion may be skewed by my having just got one. It's got a super-woody natural tone when played without distortion or anything. A tube amp would probably make it even mellower and woody.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    nothing wrong AT ALL with the new MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe Vs. I am a little partial though. They are very nice. Do a search for them....allot has been said about the newer incarnations.

-Bazz-

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For solid body i would say check out a used Sadowsky but for a hollow body i would recommend an Epiphone Jack Casady bass.