DEEP bass enthusiasts look here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by top028, Jun 6, 2001.

1. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Check out the specs on this cab I found. I was doing research on servo cabs rumored to be used in the caribean for that traditional reggae/dub sound, and I came across this site...they make a speaker that puts out 114db at 16 hz!!!!! thats amazing...and the speaker has a flat response up to 125hz. the site is
  2. What do you want with 16Hz????? You can't hear it!!
  3. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    Isn't that the freq that induces involuntary bowel movements?
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    An alternative is to take up a career as a pipe organist.
    - Mike
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey that way when you run the 10hz bass test through it you might not be screwed like me.
  6. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    HOLY #$%^ i just saw the price! almost $3000!!!!

I doubt if its worth THAT.
  7. The Bag End ELF beats this thing all to hell.

For starters, the ServoDrive advertised 114db at 16 Hz is actually from 200 watts at 1 meter. A fast approximation of the math means this has an SPL of about 90 for 1w/1m, or about the same sensitivity as top quality car audio subwoofers.

The Bag End D12E-C puts out 96 SPL 1w1m, and is -3dB down at 8 Hz. The rig above is -3dB at 15 Hz.
  8. The Bag End has active correction. That means the cab itself is probably down 40 dB at 8 Hz or something, and 20 dB at 15 Hz. I'd say the servo does a lot better, as a cab only.

BTW the servo system uses an electronic rotary motor as a drive system, not a voice coil. Hence the very low top frequency of 125 Hz. Moving mass is maybe 1/2 lb. The Bag End 1/2 oz.
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    So Joris, does it suck or not?

10. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    These are awesome (and I hate to use the word awesome) systems. While they may not be appropriate for bass guitar they're great at replacing truck loads of 18" PA cabinets.

As an ELF owner there's no way the ELF system can produce an equal amount of spl anywhere below 25Hz compared to Servodrive. Don't forget the servo system needs only 500W to function at maximum output.

The published frequency response for the Bag End S18E using the ELF-1 Integrator is 8Hz-95Hz +/-3dB, 18Hz using either the ELF-M, ELF-M2.

Forget about 8Hz or 18Hz it's what happens between say 28-40Hz that gives the thick fat detailed tone that people seem to be looking for.
  11. Servo driven systems do definitely not suck! In fact, they rock (literally)! In comparison the ELF does suck big time, because it's just a bad bass speaker, but by adding fifteen handsful of electronics they can make it sound good at moderate sound pressure levels.

12. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Suck? As in someone else makes a 22"x18" 64lb or a 14"x11" 25lb cabinet with equal to or better frequency responce for less money and doesn't require a special processor?
  13. Take this from someone who has AB/d both the Bag End and ServoDrive. I bought the Servodrive because it killed the Bag End. There is no comparison. The Servo is 100times better louder and deeper than the Bag End.

14. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Some years ago Billy Sheehan used these (maybe not the same brand but servo speakers) in his live rig. He doesn't use them anymore.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    How big are the newer version servo's? The older ones were huge & weighed a few hundred lbs.!!! If they make a similar product that's a bit lighter & smaller(+ reliable), I'd check one out...

PS: I wonder how the servo's compare to a Meyers sub?
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Trust me, Island players aren't using servo cabs or any other type of super high tech gear. If anything they have less access to the good stuff. Guys like Tubby who designed his own gear were using traditional technology and tweaking it themselves.
  17. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    well, don't go by just those specs to make a valid comparison. servodrive's data represents SPL capability at not only 16Hz (well out of resonance of driver = greatest sensitivity), but at a 10% THD cap as well. 1W input SPL capability (again, with 10% THD cap) is more around 93dB.
    I know former founders and engineers from servodrive (Tom and Mark), and I can vouch that their systems were absolutely knock-out. high-output deep bass with little regards to efficiency and size was their bag. unfortunately, the real brains of the operation have moved on..

comparitively, the Bag-End product is not an un-fair comparison. it can "hold it's own" in other regards. while it will have FAR less deep bass capability (referenced to THD cap) inherantly - because it has far less surface area, excursion capability, and thermal mass (for power compression). the bag-end specs represent sensitivity - which is typically measured around 50-100Hz, or at the system's resonance.
    the bag-end is an interesting product like i said - it uses a small sealed box with a VERY stiff and light (mmd) driver. the idea is that you push the system's resonance high enough, and only use it below said resonance. remember, a system will be mass controlled above resonance, and suspension/spring controlled below resonance. now, with very low impedance throughout the pass-band, it's very easy to control and EQ the system (the bag-end's whole thing was electrical compensation). the driver is very high BL, which makes it a bit easier to drive with an amplifier (requires more voltage, not current to drive).

anyway, i don't doubt the servodrive or the bag-end product would excell in extra low-freq reporoduction for a bass guitar - but it's like comparing apples to oranges. the bag-end is small and won't get "real" loud "real" deep, but is very potent. while the servodrive is a gigantic, somewhat efficient, more traditional subwoofer. oh, btw, don't expect the servodrive to creep much above 100Hz (there is a LOT of wire in the field coil of that puppy), where the bag-end will extend beyond 300Hz IIRC.

anyway. hope that helps some to the OP.

18. The Servo I have is great for bass players, the dimensions are 37" tall 18.5 "deep 22.75"wide
    it is the Contrabass Model