Deep Bass Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BHW, Jan 23, 2004.

1. BHW

Jan 19, 2004
    Hello Everyone,

I own an AMPEG B100R. It is a good amp but it does not really give me the deep bass and the highs I want. I kind of want a sound like the SWR LA15 makes. Does anyone have any suggestions of amps I should try to get this sound. I will probably be selling my AMPEG.

Any help is appreciated.

2. repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    if you want good lows go with a 12 inch speaker or bigger.i play a 4x10 and a 1x15 and i get good lows through that cab configuration.if you want insane lows go with something like the swr big ben will give the faint heart attacks and blow the small and frail away
  3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    sounds like you like the 'hifi' bass sound

i personally use an SWR workingmans 15 combo amp, and i think its pretty nice. others like the 12" version more, but i need the 15" since i use a 5 string bass, it has a nice clean sound that can do the scooped eq for teh lows and highs.

you could check out the GK 2x10 combo also, and maybe one of those roland db-500's
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Deep bass sound:

2 Aguilar GS112s

Nuff said, EOM
  5. Work on getting the deep sound from your fingers. Good gear helps, but a lot of tone comes from technique.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'll trade you my LA-15 for your B-100R. (I'm serious) Email me or PM for details. If you like the tone of the LA-15, why not have mine? I like the tone of the B-100R myself, so why not trade?
  7. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    The B-100R is pretty popular for a "retro" sound, but IMO it isn't that flexible for finding other sounds. If you like a P-Bass with flatwounds you are fine, but if you want highs, it's the wrong amp.

On the upside, you shouldn't have much trouble selling it used.

Sounds like a pretty good idea ....
  8. BHW

Jan 19, 2004
    This is not really an even trade since the LA-15 goes for around $300 and the Ampeg B100R is about $500. I am kind of looking towards the GK now. I went to the Guitar Center and played around on a few today and it seemed to have the sound I was looking for. The question now is, WHICH ONE?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Keep them coming. I am always open for suggestions.

9. If you like GK, go with either an 800RB or 700RB; im not sure how big youre looking for but one of those should be plenty. Plug it into a pair of Aggie 1x12s, or else a single 2x12 if you prefer. If you cant afford the Aggie get an avatar of the same type, ive been very satisfied with mine. The GK should go really well with it. Since the 700RB and 800RB are both biampable, you could even throw an extra 15 or 18 under there, but thats a bit overkill if you ask me. :rolleyes:

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Would it be even if I payed for shipping for the B100R as well as my LA-15? My LA is in good condition. I've only had it a few months, and I barely ever use it anyways.
  11. BHW

Jan 19, 2004

I appreciate the offer, but I am going to sell it locally. I have decided to go with the GK 1001RB/210.

12. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Maybe it's your bass? what do you play?

IMO: Basslines Quarterpounds give lots of highs and lows, few mids
  13. BHW

Jan 19, 2004
    I play a Soundgear (Ibanez) SR 405

14. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    a 18's ALTEC LANSING !! my teacher has that and it really kicks ass!!! very impressive!!
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The deepest, thickest, bass tone of any amp I have played belongs to the iAMP 800. Unbelievably meaty lows (but still with good clarity). And if it still isn't shaking the house as much as you'd like, there is that "Deep" switch! Even more low end thickness, but again, it stays controlled and clear. The iAMP 800 also has very crisp high end, so it may help yield the sound that you are after.

16. BHW

Jan 19, 2004
    Thanks for the input Tom,

I will look into that.