1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deep Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by newbold, Sep 21, 2008.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Bought a standard Jazz 5 awhile back and changed from the medium roundwounds to DR Black Beauties. The tension dropped and left me with a good sounding string but not with the depth and strength that I played in-store.

It's coming time to change my strings and am hoping for some advice before I take the next step.

I have been told that nylon tapewound strings have the fattest, thuddiest low end and last for a looong time.

I do like to have the higher register for some dynamic work but am curious just in case it's a great gamble on a string change.

thinking about Rotosound Nylon Tapewound, LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats, or a heavy tight roundwound. Unfortunately I can't find what I want from DR and I'm looking for some advice.

What strings: Have deep bass, great longevity, and clarity?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The LaBellas are a solid choice, super deep strong tone. Chromes are nice if you like a little more sustain and clarity, and TI Jazz flats are good if you like a more flexible string and play with medium action (or fretless). But I'm pretty sure you'd have zero complaints about the LaBellas.

3. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    I absolutely love LaBella tapewounds. They do have that really thuddy lowend and IMO more than enough clarity. And they last forever. They are very smooth with zero extraneous finger noise. The strings are pretty cheap on Carvin.com ~$25

4. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Labella Flats all the way!!!

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    between here, the players, and techs that I've asked I decided to buy the rotosound tapewounds.

I'll let y'all know if it turns out to be a not so great choice. they arrive in the next several days from juststrings.com

6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I should have my bass singin' early this week.

Expect to hear from me again...

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I'm lovin' my Rotosound 88's.

They're big, fat, have great tension, and sound huge!

Looking forward to playing my bass with a drummer and a rhodes player.

hope the jam happens this week!

8. I too have Roto Trubass 88 tapes on my '62 jazz... Playing with a pick you can get some absolutely death-defying dark tones... Playing finger-style they tend to be a little "slow" in response.

Do you guys have to set the witness point on the E-string saddle all the way back to the silk on your Roto 88s?