Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deep Imapact Whoes! :(

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkster, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi guy's just wondering if any of you would know where to get my Akai Deep Impact looked at? It has developed some issues and I love this pedal and don't want to give it up..
    I have emailed Akai USA sevral times and never get a return email.
    Do any of you know where I could get it serviced?
    Thanks

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    what is it doing? mine gets a little fussy as well.

i'm really curious!

:)

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

The preset potentiometer does'nt do sqaut any more and the program number keeps flickering when notes are played. The big thingh is I can change the program but can't change the presets anymore, It just started doing this out of the blue!! :bawl:

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i haven't used mine in a while, but i think mine may have the same problem.

what a bummer, i feel for you, dood!

:(

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think you're SOL. My Akai Hexacomp was killed by a power surge over a year ago. I brought it to Triple S Sound Repair who is/was an authorized Akai repair shop. They said that not only have the pedals been discontinued, but also Akai has lost their US distibutor so they cannot get parts. They said they do get a parts order about once a year from Japan, but what parts actually arrive in that order is anybody's guess. I call them every 2 months to see if they've fixed my pedal, they always say "not yet."

If it's an important part of your sound, I'd say buy another. I've got other comps, so even though I really liked the Hexacomp I'm not desperate to have it back. The Deep Impact on the other hand is pretty unique.

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Sounds like the pot is toast.

The flickering occurs when it's not in a solid position. If you turn the knob halfway between clicks and leave it, it'll flicker.

It sounds like yours is constantly in that halfway between click position.

I'm guessing that you can probably find a rotary click pot replacement of the same value somewhere other than Akai.

I can think of a few sources in Mass that might be able to help.

A guitarist I play with had a lot of success w/ a Line 6 certified repairman for his amp. The guy also built him some custom mixer/DI's etc... I'm thinking that he'd be the guy to go to because he's down w/ the digital stuff and I've heard nothing but raves about him. I'll try to get his name and number.

I've heard great things about Alectronics (I think that's how it's spelled) in Newton.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Marc you da man,, Thank you so much bro, If you can dig up that name I would really appreciate it.. I'll try and find a contact at Alectronics also.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That bites!!! The problem is that to get another one used goes for about 300 bucks! I got mine for 129, It is the one pedal I use a lot so I got to have it,
    I'm certified in soldering so if it's something that I can replace then I would love to do it myself, I repair all my electronics in guitars and have replaced jacks and stuff like that. Maybe I'll open it up and have a looksie :bag: What do I got to loose.
    I'll wait to see if Marc gets the info me...
    Thanks for your help so far guy's.

9. Henry,

Why don't you give Tom (at Aztec) a call? He should be able to fix that for ya!

Jeff

10. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    $300 for a Deep Impact on Ebay? I offered up a nearly mint unit with manual, US or UK adapter and original box for $200 including UPS shipping in the US and never got a bite.

I still have it if anyone needs a backup or replacement. I know this is the wrong forum for this but units are out there.

PM or email me if you are interested.

Brian
    brownnote@vradenburg.com

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    PM sent!!!

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Dude Ya think he can do digital??

13. You've seen all the crap he has in the shop. I betcha he could figure it out.

14. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I have to email that guitarist within the next couple of days to get get some songlists for sub gigs I'm doing with him on Fri and Sat. I'll ask for the tech's name as well. He should get back to me by early in the week and I'll shoot the info over.

15. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    Thank you to those of you that contacted me about the Deep Impact. I have sold it to Funkster.

Thanks!

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Kudos' and thanks to Brian for saving my gig next week!! :hyper: