Deep Impact GAS...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Well i reached a new level of GAS resistance maturity today...

Went to my favourite bass shop today wanting to by a Tascam Bass Trainer and discovered they had an Akai Deep Impact! i've always wanted one of these, it was in great condition and so cheap for aus $400...

but then i was like, well i'll use this 3-4 times a night at most and only with my funk/fusion band, and i've already got some pedals to give me my synthy type sounds - basically, i'll survive without it. and i'll use the Bass Trainer everday to practice after my parents have gone to bed and at uni, so i didn't buy it! amazing self control.

a nice silly boring story for ya'll
  2. mmm Deep Impact (/end Homer voice)

Which store was this at, Dave?

Well done on your self control, BTW.
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah well done...I wouldn't of been able to :p
  4. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    it was at basscentre melbourne...

they had another guy coming to look at it so i think it will have definitly gone by now...

i think i only resisted because i don't have a credit card:D
  5. buy it, and send it to me. Ive NEVER seen one around these parts. :(

Did you atleast have a play of it?
  6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    You should have bought it, sell it to ebay for $200 more and buy yourself a gift of your choice with that.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The thing is, even though you may only use it once or twice a night, when you do use it, you're happy as hell that you have it.

At least that's the case for me.
  8. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    Actually I got my Deep Impact for $360 AUD last year from a eBay pawn shop dealer based in Melbourne. Whatever idiot sold a Deep Impact to a pawn shop, should be shot in the nads!!!

With a BB gun.
  9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No denying that these are great pedals, however...

For going close to 4 bills US I'll pass that gas I think.

You see, these aren't analog pedals so you can't send them to the usual effects guru to fix them. You have to send them to Akai, and at the rate I am seeing them break down...well, no thanks. All of a sudden, that $400 is $600, then $800. (At least for me- I'm not going to pitch a pedal I paid $400 for).
  10. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia

i dunno... i guess i really should have bought it!!! :p

a few peopleon this board have been having them die recently and they are pricey to fix...

i know i could have sold it on the evil-bay and made a profit but i would have bought it to play... but i need a new rig way more than that pedal... if i ever really really want one, i'll save after i've finished uni and get one.

i found out though that they guy that bought it already had one and just wanted a backup :rollno:
  11. It depends on what's wrong with them. If it's dry joints (which seems common in these units) then any schmuck who's handy with a soldering iron can fix it for you. There are analogue parts to the circuit, and power supply as well, these can be fixed quite easily in most cases.

If it's the DSP then you're in trouble, but that would be a pretty unlikely scenario.
  12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've talked to 4 people when researching these, whose had to pay exhorbatant prices (Between $150.00 minumium to $300.00) to have these fixed. Most "schmucks handy with a soldering iron" won't touch them.

I don't know if I would want "any schmuck handy with a soldering iron" messing with my $400.00 discontinued digital pedal anyways.
  13. rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    I've had trouble with both my Deep Impact and my UniBass. The UniBass was acting flaky while still under warranty and they worked on it for free, but weren't able to get it to act up. Eventually, it died altogether. Being handy with things electronic, I took it apart, didn't see anything obvious, hooked it up while dismantled, it worked flawlessly. I poked and prodded, but couldn't get it to fail. Put it back together, and it's been fine ever since. Eventually, I did pretty much the same thing with the Deep Impact and it's also been fine.

Maybe they just want attention - who knows?
  14. I was being flippant you realise!?

Fact remains, any electronic engineer worth his salt should be able to fix a lot of the problems I've heard these devices have. Even without a schematic diagram.

The crunch is that most of them do that work for a living, and taking on an unusual item such as a deep impact is not profitable. That's why they won't touch them, not because they're difficult to repair.