Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deep Impact on a GT6B ala Muse??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Is it possible to get the synth bass sound on 'Muse - Citizen Erased' with a Boss GT-6B? I am assuming that his is created through his Akai deep impact, but I might be totally wrong.

Any suggestions?

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i have been chasing that sound for a long time now. i think its a great synth sound. yes i think it was probably created with the deep impact, but probably with some fuzz over the top of it. i tried to get that sound from the synth selections on the me-50b but to no avail, but maybe you will have better luck on the gt6.

i got a deep impact the other day but havent been able to find it yet.

the closest i ever got to the sound wasnt with a synth. i used a bit of overdrive, the ultrabass function on my amp (basically just adds a lower octave to the sound, giving it a synthy feel) and then played around with the "hollow" setting and some eq.

if anyone else out there knows how to get the citizen erased sound please respond.

also check this thread bobby

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123554&highlight=citizen

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    synth + octaver + Fuzz- it's really that easy.

4. I also tried to get this sound on a (borrowed) GT-6B, but couldn't get close enough. The synth sounds on the board isn't that good (maybe if you try lots of different settings it will work) When I played, it didn't track fast enough... Not because I played fast, but because it sucked.. :crying:

I'm looking for an Akai Deep Impact myself... I got the octaver (OC-2) and fuzz (big muff) so all I need now is the ADI. But it's just NOT possible to get.. And I'm not paying $350 on ebay to get a used one.. no way :help:

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    hah monkey sold me one for $200 US :) thanks monkey!

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I can get close with gt6 but your right the synth is lacking. Using the touch wah (polarity down) will help. I don't remember what order I had them all set in though.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Although i know Wolstenholme doesn't use one of these effects pedals, most of his sounds (and incidently most stewart Zender) 'synth' sounds are in a Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Any ideas where I can listen to these sounds. I find myself using my deep impact less and less.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah my friend in england is trying to find one for me. looks like fun to play around with. a microbass II and a p&c... where does it end toasted?

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    man sell it now on ebay. with the money you make from that you could get a p&c ...

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You can get a p&c from johnny roadhouse music in Manchester for £160

You can get a Microbass II from The Bass Gallery in London for £275

12. I think I came up with something close on my GT-6B

http://www.bobbykokinos.com/citizen.mp3

Take a listen and let me know if you have any suggestions. For some reason my computer recording quality is crappy, so pardon me on that

The main difference I can hear is the recording synth is more "sharp". I really dont know how to explain it or get it that way.

P.S. I know I'm playing the tune wrong also..

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    that sound would do fine for a cover of citizen. sounds good to me. what settings did you use?

as for the sharpness... play around with the master eq maybe.

but i think what u have is fine.

14. Just the synth bass, octaver, and compression with the GT-6B. I don't know the exact settings because I'm at work right now, but I'll post them up later.

There were two problems though. I tried it first with my modulus. Problem with my modulus is it sounds "too good" and rings alot so I get alot of false triggering with the synth. So I play my Essex. Tracking got better. So I tried it with a pick with my palm lightly muting the strings and I finally go it..

Its either one thing or another: my finger style playing is sloppy or the tracking on the GT-6B blows..

15. Okay, now I got both a big muff and an octaver (OC-2)....

What settings would you use for the OC-2 to get as close to muse-sound as possible?

And is there any chance I can get close with other synth pedals than the Akai Deep Impact? Would the Digitech synth wah make allmost the same sound? Or would you prefer Boss SYB-5?

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    other synths would work. problem with other synths is... tracking!

i own the syb-5 and i dont like it. ive never tried the digitech but the general consensus is that its 'ok'. im not sure about tracking on it, but surely it would produce a sound thats 'close enough' for what you want.

17. So the reason why so many desperately want the Akai Deep Impact is that it has the best tracking? Or does it also have the best sounds?

And to repeat my previous question, what settings would you use on the OC-2 to get it as close to muse as possible? I've tried (not much) but couldn't fint the magic synth-like sound you guys have been talking about.. The closest I could get was turning one of the octavs down completely, and setting the other one to 12 o clock.

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    deep impact has great tracking, 9 easily editable presets, and decent sounds. but certainly tracking is up there for a reason to by it, after all, a synth isnt much good if it wont produce any sound.

cant help you with the oc-2. but it would be an octave down function of some sort that ur after.

19. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Set OCT2 to zero, OCT1 to full, Direct to zero. Play up the neck and add fuzz ad libitum...

20. would I be able to get this sound from a Line6 fm4? I know Wolstenholme has got one, but I'm not sure what he uses it for. Could it be that he uses BOTH the fm4 and deep impact for the synth-sound, or does he use the fm4 for other reasons?

I'm asking because the Deep Impact seems to be so damn hard to get :eyebrow: I'm very interested in buying one, but they don't even have them on ebay now...