1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deep Impact Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eshears, Aug 27, 2007.

1. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    An irritating power issue with my Deep Impact just popped up (which figures, since I was just considering selling it). :(

The power intermittently turns off and on when the connection to the power supply is wiggled around. Usually, when I first plug it in, it won't turn on. Then, I'll have to wiggle around the connection to the power supply a bit until it turns on...at that point, it works fine throughout a gig.

I think this might be a pretty simple fix. I opened the DI up, but then remembered that I'm electronics illiterate and promptly closed it up again. My best guess is that a solder connection might be a bit loose, and when the power supply is plugged in, it pulls that connection apart a little bit. any other (more educated) ideas? :help:

2. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    Not sure how to fix it, but if you want to sell it pm me. I'd just take it in for a service by a local electronic place.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought my Deep Impact new from AKAI. The wal-wart was a standard 9v like a BOSS. With any luck the probelem is with the wal-wart and not the SB-1 unit.

4. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I should have mentioned that I'm not using the wal-wart...I'm using a Godlyke Power-All for my whold board...no other problems with the other pedals.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

just take it to your local tech and see if they can fix it.

great pedal by the way. im loving the keyboard bass lines im getting out of it.:)

6. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    You're probably right, just an old connection that's getting loose. Quick fix if you know how to solder, hopefully :)

7. Another possibility is that the socket itself has worked loose. Those DC sockets often rely on a small piece of sprung metal to make contact with the outside of the barrel, and it often looses it's sprungedness!

Or, it could just be dirty - try some electrical contact cleaner - BUT NO WD40!!! That stuff is not appropriate for cleaning electrical contacts.

8. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    If that's the case, would I have to have the whold DC socket replaced?

9. That would be best, yes. But try cleaning it first.

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Have you tried using a different plug from the daisy chain? It could just be THAT plug thats broken.

11. Yes. I had the same problem. The whole socket needs to be replaced. It's not that hard and luckily not that expensive. The only thing you'll have to do is find the mini DC socket. Luckily I found one at a mom and pop electronics store.

The old DC socket needs to be desoldered from the board. Once that's done just solder the new DC socket in to board. My pedal is now 100%.