1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deep Impact Soundclip - MIKE GORDON playing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by schmittuml, May 8, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    what a terrible bass player, hehe

3. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    muzique everytime a mention of mike gordon or the duo or somehting phish i think we are both all over the thread.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I agree. I'm really looking forward to hearing some G.R.A.B. !!!
    :bassist:

5. that clip sounds like classic Mike and Trey jamming...great clip :)

6. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    im calling it PHUO......GRaB i have seen twice......I am going to all the shows except for NC......holy summer.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Easy now. You're not the only phans out there.:D

8. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    BTW - thanks for that clip. Great stuff. What the hell is that? So perhaps I'm completely out the loop, but is this format touring? Mike, Trey, and Bill Kruetzman. Is it a trio? What happening? Anyone? Are they coming out to the West Coast? Anyone? Hello?.... Waitress.... Ummm..... I'm afraid this coversation isn't any good. Come on.... Help a brother out.

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    the band is called G.R.a.B.
    It's Gordo on bass, Russo (Joe, one of the best 'younger' drummers alive - see The Duo), Trey Antipasta - the crimson dego (wonder if he'll bust out the Matterhorn?), Benevento (Marco, on crazy keys - see The Duo). So you get 1/2 of Phish in the 'string section' hehe and a much younger and dare I say more energetic drums/keyboard combo. Cactus has already done nasty versions of Foam and Mike's Song with The Duo so look for those Phish tunes At Least (they've done some others too?). I bet they'll do some TAB songs also. I wonder how Page and Fishman feel about this?

10. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    they have covered cars trucks buses, you enjoy myself, foam, mikes song, theme from the bottom, teased fluffhead and a few others.

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nice. I'm a fan of The Duo too. So this is pretty sweet. "Crimson Dego" that's frickin' hilarious. I recently caught Trey and he had Tony Hall playing bass with Webber on drums. The Rhythm section from Dumpsta Funk. That R-section was tight as nut. Pretty impressive, but not nearly as much play as Trey and Mike. Stuart Copeland came out and jammed with them for a three song encore. They played some Oysterhead. I'll look it up and see if there are any west coast dates. Definitely on board with this configuration. Stoked!:hyper:

12. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nice. Nice. and Nice. I'm more stoked about this than Trey's solo stuff. Perhaps because it's got Gordo groovin'.:smug:

13. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    treys solo stuff has been very bland to me....im waitin on pages album.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Huge, longtime Phishead here. Can't believe I didn;t know about this! I dig B/R Duo as well, so that should be some good stuff as long as they keep the TAB songs to a minimum. I agree that Trey's solo stuff, with the exception his band's first incarnation, is bland and, in my opinion, entirely too self-indulgent. I just don't like it.

BUT! I'd love to see/here this GRAB bidness!

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Great Playing!

That Deep Impact is a pretty killer synth sound, but in this song I think it sounds too whimsical or cartoon-ish or something.

I think it would have been better if he wouldn't have stomped it for that part.

Joe

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. I'm of the same opinion. Trey's last format was way too Trey-centric.

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I agree that most 'new trey' sucks. I only listened to a couple shows from the 70 volt parade and was not very impressed. I just want to hear Mike play Quantegy dammit - I love the bass line that Fat Tony plays. I liked One Man's Trash better than Shine and Seis de Mayo...

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Great avatar and custom title, btw, Muzique!

19. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah I saw him with 70 Volt Parade. There parts that were ok. Like I said, the Hall/Webber rhythm-section was frickin' manly, to say the least. Trey was solid too, but the keyboard players and the second guitarist that he had with him just seemed kind of either held back by Trey, or just non-contributing to the jam. Stuart Copeland stepped out for the encore, which was impressive, but I left the show with a kind of ho-hum opinion. I guess I have really high-expectations for someone like Trey, because Phish was such a monster, but I left that show kind of let down. Still, this GRaB sound really cool. Bummed there are no west coast dates. I bet you are too, being from Hawaii. I guess it's too much to ask. You can't have good waves AND good music all the time.

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I didn't like it that much, either, I think a bit of distortion or chorus would've been better for the song.