Deep impact vs boss and digy synths

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Okey, i know it's "Much" higher quality on the deep impact but, yeah... how would you compare the impact to boss and digitechs synthsizers soundwise? I mean i'm pretty new to bassplaying and would just use it for fun... do you think the boss and digi could create the "muse" sound?

I know they are discontinued but do you guys think there is any online dealer that have them in stock, i dont really trust ebay and dont think anybody wants to ship it to sweden..

2. There was actually a Deep Impact up on "Blocket" today. But I might just have to track you down and steal it from you if you buy it before me ;)

Seriöst, kolla upp tror annonsen hette elbas synth pedal eller nåt...
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
  4. i have heard the deep impact snippets samples on and was pretty impressed. i have not seen one in person. but on the other hand, i have played the boss synth quite a bit. i would say just cosmetically that the boss looks a little more durable, and i'm pretty sure that the boss has more tweaking, BUT the deep impact has memory storage. choices choices..... i just realized that i didn't help at all.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The deep impact is head and shoulders above the other choices you mention. Sounds, tracking, durability etc.
    The digitech is ok, and it's actually a great octave pedal and an ok-ish synth.

The boss, from what I understand, has terrible tracking.
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've had all 3. The Akai is definitely worth the $. Memory alone makes it 100x more useful. The digitech is less versatile but sounds very good and is worth it's price. The Boss makes some interesting synthy noises but the tracking leaves a lot to be desired if you play fast. I mostly used it to trigger long synth tones and it was good at that. I'd say only get the Boss if you get a very good used price. The Korg G5 is also a cool discontinued bass synth that has memory, I think it goes for about the same price as the Akai.
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I like the Deep Impact the best. The Boss doesn't track as well and the Digitech doesn't have the cool sounds and the ability to adjust them like the Deep Impact does.

The cool thing about the Deep Impact is that you can tweak it to track according to your playing style. Once that is done it tracks pretty well. As others have said, the memory feature of the DI is great, but I wished it operated on batteries. The Digitech tracks real well, and some presets will allow for polyphony. The Deep Impact will freak out if you play chords.

I like the Digitech XBW a lot too. But, it's more of an envelope filter than a true synth.
  8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a Deep Impact on its way to me right now... $300 CAD shipped... I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!..

9. Citizen Erased

Citizen Erased

Jun 17, 2004
    If you want the Muse sound you'll have to go with the Deep Impact, Chris is very specific about his effects from what i know. You probably already know it but if you want anything close to his sound you'll also need about half a dozen other pedals and rackmounts.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Akai offers MUCH more tweaking than the Boss. 9 parameters on each preset+2 general sensibility settings should be enough for anyone.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Couple of things about the Deep Impact --- I can get away with reasonably good comps on such tunes as Nine Inch Nails' "Head in a Hole" and "Closer" just to mention a couple of examples.

Plus, being true bypass, it's dead quiet when not in use and is very sturdy.
  12. I´m from Finland and happy owner of a DI. I highly recommend. I heard from the Akai Finland that they still have Deep impacts on a stock. So it`s not that far from Sweden if you want to order it...
  13. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Use the digitech and the Deep impact together. then add some fuzz-. Your life will improve 100%, wrinkles will dissapear, your hairline will start thickening out and large chested girls in their early 20's will start to stalk you.

beware the Boss. It makes some of the best sounds on the planet when it fails to track, unfortunately it's totaly unpredictable.I wouldn't take one for free.