Deep Impact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ace123, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Anyone know where i can find one of these babies? I was searching through musicians friend and it said they were discontinued. Is this true? and if so, is there somewhere i can still manage to get one?

Also, anyone who has one or has played with one, how did you like it?

Thanks in advance.
  2. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    The are discontinued. Check ebay theres soem on there. Fat noises form that thing, especially on the Boggie. Thanks for that! :)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Didn't realize this happened!!!! That's nuts! I love mine.

But here's what Ian Perge at has to say about the pedal - "Akai Deep Impact SB-1 - Akai is a weird company - they'll release some of the best sounding and built effects pedals on the market, give them no promotion at all, and drop them for lack of sales. That's how I got my hands on this $300 pedal for $99 in a clearance sale. An analog bass synthesizer pedal with programmable patches, true bypass, and a tank-like metal casing finished in metallic red sparkle for crying out loud... just looking at it makes me want to play "Funkytown"
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, they've been discontinued and nearly impossible to find new, unless someone has some old new stock lying around collecting dust.

Shame, I love mine, and its started to act up lately, the display just started flickering. If it dies, I will definitely search for a replacement right away.
  5. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have one which i never use, i also have an akai head rush, akai make great pedals, very very hard to find in the uk. anyone interested buying them pm me.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Wow, I've been Googled and quoted as if I were a pro or something! I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. rickbass, thanks very much for the ego-boost. ;)

I stand by my statement of Akai as a company - apparently they've removed themselves from the floor pedal business entirely, and this is after they get rave reviews about a multitude of products. LA sessioner/SWR exec. Bryan Beller raves about their TuneLock tuner, Headrush delay/looper/sampler and Intelliphase flanger, and that's one thing I need to add to my site - the sound quality of the Deep Impact is unreal. I wish I'd owned it a few years back when working with a techno/dance/industrial artist. It could have replaced a few tracks of samples and keyboard bass.

I will say that I'm considering putting mine on the market, simply because I'm in a "rebuilding phase" concerning my amplification, and at the insane price they're eBaying for ($300+) that's a major chunk of my dream preamp (SWR Mini Mo, which has an quality analog synth function of it's own). I'd miss the metallic red sparkle, though. :D
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    They were fabulous pedals. The best synth pedal made IMHO. They are going VERY high on ebay lately, higher than original list....
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've got one, love it to death.
    Definitely the best bass synth I've ever tried.
  9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    yeah, deep impacts are the best synths IMHO. I have owned a EHX Bass microsynth and a Line 6 FM4 in the past and I like the Akai much much better.
  10. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Man, I wish I had looked into this in more detail. Nearly every post in the FX forum tells the tale.

I just bought a Line6 FM-4, and discovered after about 20 minutes that it probably was not gonna do the job for me.
    :meh: :crying:

That'll teach me to try before I buy. You'd think I'd have learned that by now.... I guess I'll have to shell out for a Deep Impact after all.
  11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Moderator - if this is illegal please strike from forum...

My deep impact on ebay just got a whole lot cheaper. High bidder pulled out, after scaring everyone away I'm sure. He said he "entered the wrong amount" two days after he made the bid. I thought thats what the "confirm bid" page was for. :mad:

SO... going for a lot less than I thought it would.
  12. How would people with experience with these pedals rate them... is one better for certain applications?

I've never owned an Akai pedal or a Moog pedal but I love my EHX pedals.

Are these three pedals similar at all in sound? The EHX retails for about $250 and you can find the Deep Impact slightly cheaper sometimes. I have no idea how much a MoogerFooger is.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    All totally dissimilar. The Moogerfooger is an envelope filter, the EH is dirtier and weirder than the Akai, and the Akai is funkier and squelchier.

14. Cool, thanks for the info... now to try them all :bassist:
  15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Spoken like a true member of the effects forum!
  16. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

Well, it's now close to where it was.... :ninja:
  17. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I know this has been done before, but as only two people replied....

So how about sharing some of those secret settings that make the rest of your band stop entirely and look quizzically around the room to find out where that glorious noise came from?
    This has been posted before but-
    My favorite setting (most MuTronish) is- going through a Stingray with the 3 band eq flat.

program #9 (hiccups)

note off: 6
    note on: 4
    attack: 9
    decay: 8
    envelope depth: 1
    dynamics: 7
    cutoff: 4
    resonance: 8
    balance: 1

Any additions to this are greatly welcome.
  18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Unless you are mixing part of your real bass output with the Deep Impact, the kind of bass you're using or tone setting won't matter (as long as the pedal tracks) to the resulting output as the sound is made by occilators in the pedal cueing off your played note, not a manipulation of the sound put into it. Just like a guitar (Bass) synth.