Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deep Impact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Got a chance to buy a Deep Impact for $99. I tried it out this afternoon for about 45 min. I'm not sure it's for me, but it sure has some cool sounds, though I probably wouldn't get much use with it in my classic rock variety cover band. My Digitech Synth wah suits me well enough as a synth pedal "just to have" though the octaver on the Digitech is amazing. The reason I like the Digitech is that you can dial in a bassballs sound if you wish, unlike the Deep Impact (at least I couldn't get it to sound like a bassballs).

Here's my question, though. Would you buy it knowing you could probably re-sell it for a profit? The guy at the store thinks it's a guitar effect. I know it sounds sleazy, but I've read what these have been going for on Ebay and elsewhere. I wouldn't sell it right away, it always has the chance to grow on me.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you want to sell it, don't even take it out of the box.
    Once you plug it in, you're hooked.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    You must have a lot of guts to ask this question. :D

Just buy the d@mn thing, you can't go wrong I suppose. It is because of the fact I already have a great synth sound (three EBS pedals chained, chorus, octaver and envelope) but otherwise I would buy it immediately.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do in fact buy with no intent on keeping them and selling for profit and the DI is a great one for that. You could get at least $50 profit for it, but people here love it so you could be a great TB brother and pass along the deal!

It's your choice in the end.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I wouldn't worry about that too much from an ethical standpoint if that's what you're driving at. I mean the guy at the store surely has access to the internet and he could surely find the market value of the pedal. It's not your responsibility to to ensure that he researched the product he is selling.

6. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I played with the thing for 45 min. It was fun. Lord knows I've bought and sold pedals like candy, so, you're right, I could pass it along to another TB'er and not lose on the deal. It's in pristine condition.

I've been strugling with how I would fit it in to my classic rock/variety band. We don't do really any of the techno keyboard bass songs of the disco 70's or weird 80's.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"I tried it out this afternoon for about 45 min. I'm not sure it's for me, but it sure has some cool sounds, though I probably wouldn't get much use with it in my classic rock variety cover band."

You could be very surprised. I'm doing a project with a guy who has almost as many sophisticated keyboards as Wakeman of Yes and he loves my bass with the Deep Impact.

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    We have a song with our band, an Arabian riff on guitar with a heavy sounding Synth sound. It is just great... it is just your :rolleyes: mind which eliminates the creative part.

9. !!! I'd love to buy it from you, that is, if you decide to sell it. :D
    cocobinga@hotmail.com

10. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I bought the Deep Impact in great condition with ac adaptor, for $99 at the local used gear place. It's weird. Now we'll see whether I can get some use out of it.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think someone should give me a Deep Impact for free.

12. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    im looking at one for 250... :(