1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deep lows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wattsman, Dec 2, 2018.

1. wattsman

wattsman Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Hi, I'm looking for a bass that gives me deeper lows than my 58 precision. I love my 58, but in my new project i need a deeper bass sound. Preferably a 4 string active or passive. Any recommendations?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Seems more of an amp EQ / cabinet problem than a Precision problem.
    Or maybe a pickup swap is in order.
    I’ve owned several P’s over the years and lack of deep lows was never an issue.

3. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    To me, a Jazz (passive or active) will provide a lower frequency "low".

A Stingray or more modern bass (Ibanez SR, Yamaha TRBX, etc) provides a more defined low, which can be heard and felt better.

wattsman likes this.
  4. P basses generally have a low tone like above post stated. Sounds like you need to adjust the amp. The Stingray where the pickup is close to the bridge will not produce the low you are looking for. I personally play a Fender P and a LTD active bass. Fender is classic sound, either a nice low or punch. My active bass has big lows. Since is has a 3 band preamp, I can have a little punch too. Try a active preamp bass. You may like the sound.

5. I get some really sweet lows with my DP-3X

6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Taking out some of the low mids and bringing up some low bass with an EQ works on a P.

wattsman likes this.