Deep purpel's Glover

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Mar 14, 2002.

1. what do you think about Deep purpel's bassist Glover.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just picked up the Total Abandon Australia '99 DVDa few hours ago, Glover is a very cool rock bassist and, judging from the video footage, a very nice guy.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I wish I knew more about Roger. I was a huge Deep Purple fan as a kid and always respected his bass lines. I was really happy after I figured out his bass solo in "Pictures Of Home".

Hey... I always thought Roger did the fuzz solo in the song "Fireball", but someone else thought it might be Ritchie on guitar using an octaver. Does anybody know for sure?
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I've always liked Roger Glover's playing. I think he's a good rock bassist.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

His place in bass history is assured.

He was one of the first to dare get a roundwound, trebly, sound without a Rick 4001.

And there's was a time where if you couldn't comp the tone of his "Smoke on the Water" bassline, you might as well be in the audience.

I have a rare Purple album on the Tetragaemmon label (sp?). The cover is a foldout of an H. Bosch painting of hell and his bass stands out right on top of the mix. It is mostly impressive. Purple was into classical music and African rhythms long ago.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Roger is also a well respected producer.....he produced some of those early Deep Purple albums.
    Aloha, Jerry
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I got to interview Roger Glover when he re-joined Deep Purple. Very easy-going and polite. He's another one of those guys that defines the song more than he shows off, but when he cuts loose, it's there. Excellent producer - he was originally brought to Rainbow as a producer, and he ended playing as well. He's also produced Rory Gallagher, and done some solo outings and duos with Ian Gillan.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in youth-
    I still recall that fateful day when I opened up my then-new issue of Circus magazine and...

...what the Hell, I still have that issue(Sept '73), here's the headline & blurb that made my jaw drop-

Deep Purple Shock-Two Members Out
    After years of work, they've finally got three gold LP's & one album headed for platinum. Why are they risking their new success by tossing out Gillan & Glover?

My life did not make any sense from that day on... ;)

Hey Rick-
    "Without a Rick 4001"
    I thought Glover was known for his black Rick basses?
    Did I misinterpret your post?

I still need to pick up In Rock...all these years, I have never owned that album! Damn!
  9. rickbass

Hah! I still have a Creem with them doing a Boy Howdy beer ad.

Didn't misinterpret me at all, Jim. Good observation, (as usual). I know what you mean - almost all of his action pics are with a Rick (and Vigier lately).

I saw them some time before Fireball came out and he was one of the first besides Entwistle I ever heard to use a Fender and show me there was some hard rockin' treble in those things, like this -
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Very cool pic!
    Marshalls & Fenders...those were the days, eh?

I see Glover has left the plate over the pickup(s) & is plucking up by the neck...did he get a 'bright' one outta that P-bass? Too, what albums do you recommend?
  11. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, in hindsight, Burn wasn't exactly a disappointment! :D

My Deep Purple recommendations:
    Made in Japan
  12. rickbass

Yeah, funny he left that one on. The bridge ashtray was the one that bothered my playing the most.

His tone was real trebly, (hence the Entwistle reference). I don't know what the PA was but they were using WEM amplification, (except for Blackmore, of course).

Albums??? I know there's a few "Best of..." albums but I don't know how good they are. Some of my friends had the original cuts so I never heard any of the "Bests ofs...". I like the earlier stuff;

- In Rock ("Child in Time," "Speed King")
    - Fireball
    - Machine Head ("Space Truckin'," "Smoke on the Water," "Highway Star
    - Any one with "My Woman from Tokyo" on it

The one I mentioned with the Heronimous Bosch depiction of hell artwork is simply named "Deep Purple." A version of it with a couple of different cuts from the original import was released in the US. It really is worth a listen is you see it. It shows those guys had a much deeper musical knowledge than most ever gave them credit for.

I think I'll put on Tommy Bolin's "Post Toasties" now......
  13. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Man I just can't stop listening to Child in time on the Made in Japan Album I think the bass on that is awesome!!

I really must get some more Deep Purple stuff

<adds DEEP PURPLE to a long list of CD's to buy>

14. My favorite?

"Lazy" - the version off "Made in Japan". I think it's one of the best pieces of rock and roll ever produced.

15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Roger's a killer bass player. I only have two Purple Albums. (Machine Head CD and a Best of cassette with all the earlier hits like "Hush" "Listen Learn Read On" "Hey Joe" ect. )

Child In Time is a great song. Also, When a Blind Man Cries is great.

It's great hearing that Roger's a great guy, guess he balances out with the extreme *** holeness that is Ritichie Blackmore. No wonder he was the only consistent member in Rainbow. :rolleyes:
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I totally dug Burn when it was released...lent it out, never got it back.
    I do have Machine Head, Live In Japan, Who Do We Think We Are...all on vinyl.
    I have somehow misplaced my copy of Purple Passages...basically, "A Best Of" from the band's very early albums(Rod Evans & Nicky Simper instead of Gillan/Glover).

Purple heads-
    Are the re-mastered discs of Machine Head & Fireball happenin'?
  17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    They where remastered a few years back Jim! Same with Live in Japan.