Deep Purple discovery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 7, 2006.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Borrowed a friend's Whitesnake Live In The Still Of the Night DVD, and not being a big Whitesnake fan was actually impressed with the opening track. Sure enough, it's not a Whitesnake song, but a track called Burn that David Coverdale cut with Deep Purple on his debut album with them in 1974. Are there more Deep Purple songs that flat out rock like this song? I'm not familiar with their material other than Smoke On The Water and Space Truckin'. Any recommendations on albums would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Highway Star, easily one of the best rock songs, ever, period.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The live version of Burn is even better. Hughes has a great burping Rick tone there.

Check out Child in Time, You Fool No One, Wring that Neck, Strange Kind of Woman for starters.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I forget the name of the album that has "Strange kind of Woman" on it but it also has "Maybe I'm a Leo" which I love to play.
    Burn is a good album.
    Machine Head is The Classic with "Smoke on the Water", "Space Truckin" and "Highway Star" all on it.
    Made in Japan is a good live album.
    I don't know what album they are on but "My Woman from Tokyo" is good and "Mistreated" is a classic. Blackmores Rainbow does that one too.
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
  6. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    1. AFAIK - yes.
    2. Dunno, went crowdsurfing? :D

"Burn" is their best song imo!!!
  7. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I like these tunes.

Speed King
    Pictures of Home
    No One Came
  8. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    And if you hear me talking on the wind
    You’ve got to understand
    We must remain
    Perfect strangers
  9. I am sure you can find some good compilation albums to introduce yourself to Deep Purple.
  10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    No, Burn is on Made in Europe ('75).

On Made in Japan ('73) Roger Glover plays bass, also a Rick but with a much softer tone.
  11. Somebody Stole My Guitar, is pretty cool.
  12. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    DP has plenty of live albums.

MIJ is great, MIE is good too. Stay away from 'Last Concert in Japan' ! :scowl:

More info here.
  13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

In my opinion, "Made In Japan" is one of the best live rock albums ever made (this one features the MKII lineup -with Gillan and Glover- ). Although "Burn" is a terrific song, I'm not that fan of the MKIII (Coverdale and Hughes) lineup. In fact, I've never understood what's so great about David Coverdale. To me, Glenn Hughes was the real singer of that band. For a great live show from that lineup, I highly recommend you the California Jam DVD. I've never heard "Live In Europe" so I don't know about the bass tone there, but in the "California Jam" concert Hughes played a Fender Precision bass.

BTW, I have the original "Last Concert In Japan" LP. The main reason why this album is so bad is because Tommy Bolin (DP guitarist at the time) had an injured arm due to a bad heroin shot and his playing suffered, so he was buried in the LP's final mix to hide his bad playing (it's interesting to hear the "Burn" main riff played by the organ alone). But what really annoys me from that album is David Coverdale's screams between songs. I read somewhere that he had a tendency to that from the beginning but Blackmore always prevented him to do it. After Blackmore left, Coverdale felt free to do whatever he wanted. The full (and remixed) concert was re-released under the name of "This Time Around - Live In Tokyo 1975" and it's allegedly much better.
  14. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Back in the early 70s, I spent many a happy hazy hour with the "In Rock" album. Includes Speed King, Child In Time, lots of other good stuff.

Ian Gillan is one of the best heavy rock vocalists ever.
  15. if you like dp try rainbow. rainbow rising and long live rock & roll are excellent albums.
  16. Burn is pretty cool...i like the song Stormbringer in the DP mkIII format myself...otherwise, check out mkII stuff (thats the smoke on the water years) personally, i think machine head was probably their best rock cd, (maybe of all time) although i am more into DP mkI, which had a different singer and bas player (nick simper had some really cool bass lines, although he seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth after he was ousted from DP)
  17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +billion on "Machine Head" and "Made in Japan."

Going back even earlier, I love the opening organ riff in Hush.

In their live performances I loved how Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore would trade licks trying to mimic what each other was doing.
  18. although there are arguements on who is the best rock guitarist, bassist, drummer, vocalist, etc, i think that most people agree that Jon Lord is probably the best rock organist :)
  19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    70s DP albums you must have:

Machine Head
    In Rock
    Who Do We Think We Are
    In Concert (I only saw this LP[!!!] when I was a young man living in Asia so I don't know if it's out here in the US).

I love their live stuff for Lord and Blackmore's improvisation.
  20. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Me neither.

Another song recommendation: 'Fireball', a fast rocker from the good old days, with a completely crazy drum intro - and a fuzz bass solo... :hyper:

Here is an overview of their studio albums.