1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deep talkin bass VS. Chrome's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JesseVMT, Oct 5, 2016.

1. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I currently have Chrome's on my P bass right now (only flats I've tried because nowhere carries much selection of flats...) I like them BUT I notice a top end that I don't care for, especially when playing loudly. I've re-EQ'd my amp but the bite is still there. How do the La Bella's compare? Should I look at something else? I'm ordering off BSO today for the first time once I figure out what to get.

Attached Files:

PawleeP likes this.
  2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I normally put Chromes on the basses I build, and I have tried LaBella 760's as a comparison, back to back, on the same bass. I've found that the LaBellas have a little less high end and a little less deep bottom end. The Chromes are wider range. But in general, the Chromes and LaBellas are similar in sound and feel. They are both what I would call stiff, full flatwounds.

Maybe this is what you want?

Are your Chromes fully broken in? They have a nasty high end ring when they are brand new, but it goes away after a few hours or weeks of playing. Then they sound beautiful and stay that way for 10-20 years.

3. I started out with the Chromes when I first ventured into the world of flats several years ago but have since discovered a few other alternatives that work better for me.

Fender 9050CL (45-60-80-105) - Similar to the Chromes, but with more low-mid grind and less high-mid clank once broken in. Great string-to-string evenness and balance. Affordable! I love them on my J.

La Bella 760FL (43-60-82-104) - Thicker and thumpier than either the Chromes or the Fender 9050s. Traditional and old-school. I love them on my P.

Sadowsky Black Label Lite (40-60-80-100) - Full-bodied and meaty like the La Bellas but with stronger mids with more punch and clarity without being clanky like the Chromes.

waynobass, Klonk, Radio and 3 others like this.
  4. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Pick style the Chrome's just seem to bright to me, and I play with a pick a lot. My Chrome's have only been on a couple months though.
    This is the set I'm thinking about. Less high end then Chrome's?

iiipopes likes this.
  5. To my ears, the La Bella's highs are very smooth and silky, while the Chromes' highs have some metallic clank to them.

6. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Perfect! Thanks.

7. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Just ordered the 43-104 set from TB here

Yahboy likes this.
  8. Look into Dunlop flats. Still relatively new on one of my P basses but have less stiffness than Chromes or Fender, a little more crisp in tone than Labella.

wschenk and JesseVMT like this.
  9. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I'm looking for something deep and thumpy. hopefully the Labella I ordered will do the trick

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    760FL Vs ECB81

The chrome is totally unbalance tension, overtight D and G , medium A and floopy E. After 2 years , the G still keep the Metalic zing, the A and D sound good, but the E is totally dull and lifeless.

760FL sound bright with little agressive when fresh, string tension is nice balance. After a year, the G loss the treble and become fuller sound, overall tone getting balance time over time , but...... the tone become scoop and big bottom with the 63pup. I believe the broke in 760 is great
    match with Original 62 pickup which Hi-mid and less bass present.

My2Cents

11. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks. It looks like I made the right call ordering the 760fl. I have a Geezer on my P bass.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Add to the above: EB regular flats (not Cobalt) - Like the Fender, but with a little less grind.

13. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I've used both quite a bit. It's best to let them break in a while. For the LaBella's that took months. I play primarily with my fingers. After being broken in, Chromes lose that high end and retain some nice mid-range. Sometimes its just a tad too brassy or honky when the bass is played by itself, but it tends to sit really well in the mix. LaBellas are very old school. When using half-way modern gear, they lose most of their midrange and one's left with the percussive attack and a lot of root. Playing live with them is an exercise in paying careful attention to the mids and room acoustics in my experience, especially as the volume increases. But I do love them.

chris merrill and JesseVMT like this.
  14. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I don't like D'addario strings at all, which of course includes Chromes. They have a weird sound and feel to me. The Deep Talkin Flats feel great, polished smooth! The tone is awesome classic flat but with great clarity.

JesseVMT likes this.
  15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    They are both good strings, it just depends on what you want. To me the Chromes are a more modern tone and the LaBellas are clearly old school. I am an unapologetic fanboy of the 760FL's and used to truly hate Chromes, but I have learned to like Chromes to on the right basses. But for a P Bass.... it will be LaBella's for me.

JesseVMT and Steve Boisen like this.
  16. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    I too was a Labella snob. But Bruce has put some chromes on his basses that work great. maybe its his masterfull work in keeping the old school feel with modern building techniques or my age. LOL

Chromes on my fenders has never worked well for me.

nouroog and armybass like this.
  17. hopwheels

hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm a little gun shy about La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats. Both of my last two sets had a weird twang in the 7-12 fret area on the G string, which turns out is a known issue. La Bella sent a replacement for one set. Didn't bother contacting them about the second set, just switched back to Chromes. Maybe I was just unlucky, but like I said, been a little gun shy to try them again. I will say this, I liked the tone and feel better than Chromes. Just could not live with a sitar tone on the G string.

HappyFunTime69 likes this.
  18. I use Fender 9050L's, they break in quickly and have a overall even sound, full bottom end and smooth highs.

Eikari likes this.
  19. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.

That should be what your after, i have GZR's in my Squier, i had the light gauge LaBellas on my P, but after they broke in, there was just to much low end for me.
    They break in very nicely, low tension and very even sounding string to string, right now i went back to the TI 344 Jazz Flats.
    But looking to try the new Dunlop flats.

JesseVMT likes this.
  20. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Here we go again - but hey, I'm game for it!

I've tried Chromes and various Ernie Balls and Fender - and none of them were terrible, but none were completely satisfactory either.

Then I tried Thomastik Jazz Flats - and they did everything perfectly. They feel like a million bucks, they have the best sound quality and they last a L O N G time.

The only thing that's a shortcoming with Jazz Flats is that they cost double + what other strings cost. But - they're worth it.

Try any strings you want, but when you're ready to get serious, step up and get Jazz Flats.

Pantone 333, JJR58 and Buzz E like this.