Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deeper Cab Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by illidian, May 3, 2005.

1. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've gotten a GAS attack recently for a deeper cabinet. I feel that my 2x10 is great and punchy, but doesn't go low enough (-3dB point is 65Hz).

What would you all recoomend for a cab under $500, that will usually be used under a 2x10 enclosure (being a good stand-alone is a nice bonus, but not a requirement)? Also, I'd like to keep it under sixty pounds (not set in stone, but I want a fairly portable cabinet).

I want a sound that goes low, but has to be fairly full range. Don't need a tweeter, haven't found one I've liked yet. I want a full but tight sound, that will react to EQ changes and different playing styles with ease.

The most obvious choices are...
    Genz Benz NeoX 112 for $400
    Bag End cabs
    Aguilar GS112NT for $350 (although a bit mid shy, I'd be pairing it with a 2x10...)
    Bergantino EX cab (maybe an HT?) for $400
    Gallien-Krueger Neo cabs (112 or 115)

But I'm willing to hear what everyone thinks. Unfortunately, I'll most likely be ordering sight-unseen as the only music shops around here are Guitar Center and Sam Ash, neither of which carry what I'm looking for.

PS - Current head is the GK Backline 600, 300 watts into four ohms.

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would check out a used Eden 210xlt. Might also recommend the aggie 112. I don't think the berg may be your deepest cab.

3. All I can really speak for is the Bergantino; their cabs always give you a great sound; very "uncoloured", it has been described, giving a tone most true to that output by your bass. A 1x12'' would certainly give you some great lows, since its frequency response is listed as ranging from 48Hz to 5kHz. I tried the NV610, which has an identical freq. response, and it had no problems hitting the low B on my Ibanez SR505.

One thing I would caution you against is going for the Bag End cabs; they're a company who specialized in car and PA audio, and then decided to make bass cabs as an afterthought. Make sure that's the sound you're looking for before committing.

Hope that helps!

Peace.

4. I've had the Avatar 112 and the Aguilar 112 and either one would work for you.The Aguilar goes a little deeper and has a cleaner high end but the low end on both is pretty strong.Since you don't like tweeters the Avatar might be a good choice,you could just turn it off.I used the Avatar with a Eden 210XLT and it worked great with it.

The comment about Bag End speakers being a byproduct of a car speaker company just seems a little off.Bag End has been making Bass cabinets and P.A. cabinets that are used in major venues and used by many,many touring and recording artists since the early 70's.They make quite a few cabinets that really go low.Check out thier web site.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Why not try one of the 210 cabs that go deeper like the Eden XST? If you ran that with your other 210, simply having twice the speaker area will also help you out with the depth and allow you to turn your amp down a bit while pushing the same volume.

Be careful with the impedences. Many 210s are 4 ohm, so make sure your head can run a 2 ohm load before you plug in two 4 ohm 210s!

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/cabs/indiv/d210xst.asp

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've you're talking about Schroeders, they're about $200 out of my budget for the smaller, two-speaker enclosures. Maybe the new Mini 12? I didn't think of that one.

About the Eden XLT - I don't know why, but that cabinet has never appealed to me. From the reviews they seem to be more of a "low 2x10 cab" than a nice articulate "1x12" cab. Also they seem a bit bigger than I'd like.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Bag End! The S15d can be had new for around $375. It's compact, sounds good as a "stand alone" cab and has lot's of bottom. I recently heard a pretty good sized(150-200seat?) hotel banquet room filled-up by this cab. Granted it was not a musically LOUD situation, but I was so impressed the next day I dropped the cash!!

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    IME, my eden xst (not the xlt) goes lower than the aguilar, and berg 12's.

with that said, i'd personally still either go for the berg, but have also had good experiences with all the bag-end stuff. their 15's are actually comparable in size with most 12's from other companies

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Bergantino EX112. No one has really convinced me of anything, but there just isn't a bad review of the berg "mini-stack," and this is half of that stack.

It's known for being full-range, full, and articulate. I don't see going wrong with most of the cabinets I listed, but the Berg seems to be just a little bit above the rest right now.

And the best thing, Bergantino is a rather small company with great customer service. Can't beat that (although Bergantino isn't the only company that has this that's on my list).

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Sorry I missed that. Out of your list I would go with the GB, not bad bang for the buck or the Bagend, nice cabs.

Save a little more and get the Schroeder 1212 or 1210 and you won't have to be wanting for volume for sometime!

Best of luck, and if you can make it to the columbus show stop by and say hi.

Brian

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sorry, won't be at the Columbus show. It's a good three hour or so drive each way (give or take), and I already have some things planned.

My only issue with the Schroeder cabinets is they are four ohms. So I would have to get rid of my current 2x10, which I like the sound of.

12. You can always wire each 2x10 in series (16-ohms) then parallel the pair of 2x10 back to 8-ohms.

I have ongoing experience with a single Eden D410XLT, and it is gutless in the low end. This design is intended to be loud and strong in the midbass, and falls off very rapidly below 80 Hz. The XST design is said to have more bottom, but I have no experience with it.

The only device that will have high sensitivity along with a big bottom is a correctly sized bass horn.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Avatar has sb112's on ebay pretty often, the generally close in the $165 range...very decent cab for that kind of jack...

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i always have to cut my lows with my Aggie 112....

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You might also want to consider a Bergantino HT115.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are spending that much, you should try and find a way to test the compatibility. If I switch up my 1x15s (that I use with a 2x10) the sound is totally different, and one cab is a lot better than another.

17. Avatar B212

18. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've considered the Avatar, especially since it's cheap. But I figure that I've got more money to spend, so I may as well get a better cabinet.

I don't want an Aggie because of all the low end. A nice cabinet, but doesn't suit my needs.

If I saw a used one for a good price, I would consider it. Jim has great cabinets (I'd like a mini-stack sometime), so I'm sure it wouldn't disappoint.

In a perfect world, I would love to. However, I haven't been able to do much of that.

Too big and heavey.

If anyone cares, I've increased my budget over this time and am looking for something for about $600 (willing to go under or reasonably over, maybe). I've started looking into some bigger cabinets and am open to suggestions to things smaller than 6x10's that may be run for a good stand-alone cab(Yorkville and SWR 8x8's are tempting, Genz-Benz NeoX-212T, Schroeder 1210 or 1212, etc.). I love the sound of my 2x10 (may be just for practice or my "small" rig), but I may need more speaker area for some of my gigs - I was running out of headroom quick last weekend.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yorkville 8x8's I dunno from, but the swr Henry 8x8 is a really nice cab.

Schroeder-no need to ask my opinion of them-totally awesome, a 1210 would fit your bill nicely.

20. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Yorkville is supposed to compete very well with the Henry, from all that I've heard about it. The SWR is more readily available used, though.

The Schroeder is a solution for sure. I'm not sure if I like the 1210 or the 1212 more, I'm sure Jorg could tell me if I go that route and ask him. The 1210 sounds nice because it cuts better, but the 1212 can do the "old school" tone better with the right EQ'ing it sounds. Hard to go wrong with either one, for sure.