Deeper jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomer140, Dec 12, 2004.

1. boomer140

Dec 12, 2004
    Hey I just recently bought a 60s reissued fender jazz bass (pretty damn sweet) but i was wonder if flats would give me a warmer almost muddy sound compared to the fender strings already on the bass? If so what would you recomend?
  2. I think flats would be great. not really muddy. GHS makes bright flats. You might want some half wounds. great compromise.
  3. boomer140

Dec 12, 2004
    See that's the problem its just a little too bright for me.
  4. what are you using for strings and amp?
  5. boomer140

Dec 12, 2004
    Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS,
    Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100),
    p/n 073-7250-005

Gallien Krueger backline 112 Amp
  6. Well I would try semi-wound, ground wound or hal-wound. If you want a roundround, go with the Fender nickel rounds.

Your GK is voiced a little bright in the high mids, as GKS tend to be. Most GK owners tweek the hell out of their eq. So just roll off your highs to 9:00 or so. Another thing is that when you are playing alone, your bass is much brighter sounding than when your are playing with a band on stage. And when you are playing live, the audience thinks your bass is much darker than you do, because the highs are spead so thin.

You have an excellent dark bass. I would suggest switching the strings.
  7. boomer140

Dec 12, 2004
    thanks a lot for the advice i appreciate it.
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    you might also want to try some Daddario Chromes on your jazz. I've used Fender 9050ML, TI flats, Roto 77, GHS Precision Flats, and Labella Jamersons. Currently my faves are the Chromes. Deep, punchy, articulate enough for me, very nice on the fingers, and just fun as hell to play.